OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Using Ksplice for kernel updates
icon5.gif  Using Ksplice for kernel updates [message #48844] Tue, 18 December 2012 12:46 Go to next message
ChrisM is currently offline  ChrisM
Can anyone please describe how to use Ksplice Uptrack with OpenVZ to have rebootless kernel updates? I installed Ksplice today but when running "uptrack-upgrade -y" on the hardware node it comes back with:

[root@server ~]# uptrack-upgrade -y
The Ksplice Uptrack for RHEL trial provides access to rebootless updates for RHEL 5 and 6 systems only.  If you have any questions, please contact ksplice-support_ww@oracle.com.

Which would suggest it doesn't support the OpenVZ kernel.

The kernel we are running is 2.6.32-042stab068.8 on CentOS 6.3.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Chris
Re: Using Ksplice for kernel updates [message #48846 is a reply to message #48844] Tue, 18 December 2012 21:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ales is currently offline  Ales
Does your trial include user support? This seems like a good opportunity to test their response. Twisted Evil
Re: Using Ksplice for kernel updates [message #48848 is a reply to message #48846] Wed, 19 December 2012 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, i've contacted Ksplice support to see what they say - will update with their response.

Is it necessary to run vzkernel or can we use the standard kernel package and still be able to run OpenVZ? I guess if the latter was possible, we would be able to use Ksplice.

Cheers,
Chris
icon14.gif  Re: Using Ksplice for kernel updates [message #48856 is a reply to message #48844] Fri, 21 December 2012 09:48 Go to previous message
I contacted Oracle support, and they said that the Ksplice trial is only compatible with pure RHEL kernels and not clones such as CentOS or OpenVZ.

They confirmed that they are no longer selling Ksplice licenses for OpenVZ but that their existing resellers (eg your server provider) may be able to sell you a license which is compatible with OpenVZ.

So that basically answers my question that the fully licensed version of Ksplice should be compatible with vzkernel.

Cheers,
Chris
Previous Topic: openvpn and tap/bridging with a "dummy" network adapter?
Next Topic: Can't update my kernel
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Oct 04 04:28:23 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.05087 seconds