OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » How to make broadcasting work in a VE
How to make broadcasting work in a VE [message #48595] Wed, 24 October 2012 15:19 Go to previous message
maya is currently offline  maya
I have just one network interface card (hardware) on my server. I run samba in a VE (openVZ), that means not in V0 (the main host). The samba VE uses venet by default which doesn't support UDP broadcasting. The problem is, that I cannot join machines to the samba domain because UDP broadcasts (netbios) for name lookups don't work with venet. The only way joining machines to the domain is to set a WINS server on the client I want to join to the domain. (UDP broadcasts are not needed in this case) But I don't want to use a WINS server. I want to use broadcasting.

Just for fun to see if things are working without venet, I installed samba on the V0, the main host which is not using venet but operating over eth0 which allows broadcasts. With this setup I don't need to set a WINS server on the client I want to join to the domain.

So the main question is: How can I make domain joins to the samba VE work without using WINS server? How do I need to set up the samba VE?

I tried to configure veth but I didn't succeed. (wiki.openvz.org/Virtual_Ethernet_device)
Do I need a bridge?
Is there anyone who already did this and could give a detailed howto?
  • Attachment: 100.conf
    (Size: 1.02KB, Downloaded 243 times)

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: how to switch off automatic suspend/resume?
Next Topic: container start error (/bin/grep permission)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Aug 12 13:17:37 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02693 seconds