OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Samba
Samba [message #474] Thu, 08 December 2005 08:18 Go to next message
che2cbs is currently offline  che2cbs
I almost have Samba completely working from within a VPS. Shares work just fine but I can't get my WinXP PC to see the VPS via the NetBIOS browser (ie, My Network Places). It boils down to broadcast packets not working from within a VPS. Samba's broadcast packets don't make it out of the box. I've set every 'net' capability on the VPS and still nothing. From VPS0 I can see the broadcast packets on venet0 but they never go out eth0. BROADCAST flags are set on all interfaces and there are no chains in iptables (policies are all set to ACCEPT).

What am I missing?

As a side note... do I really need to see my Linux box pop up in Windows Explorer? No, but I was thinking about setting up my dhcp server inside a VPS. dhcpd relies on broadcast packets as well.

Thanks,

Chris
Re: Samba [message #478 is a reply to message #474] Fri, 09 December 2005 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dim is currently offline  dim
Broadcast packets are not working from or to VPS.

http://static.openvz.org/openvz_userbar_en.gif
Re: Samba [message #485 is a reply to message #478] Fri, 09 December 2005 16:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
che2cbs is currently offline  che2cbs
I suspected as much so I've gone to plan 'B'. I bought another NIC and I'm going to assign the device directly to the VPS. So, no more venet0 where I need broadcast packets.

On a side note I wonder if using the experimental ROUTE target in iptables could bridge the packets to eth0. I haven't had time to recompile iptables to try it out. ROUTE is not included with the Fedora RPMs.
Re: Samba [message #486 is a reply to message #485] Fri, 09 December 2005 17:05 Go to previous message
dim is currently offline  dim
Our kernel is a patched vanilla kernel. ipt_ROUTE is not included to mainstream, so we don't have such module too.

If you have ipt_ROUTE sources, you may compile it, but if you want use it inside VPS you should also 'virtualize' it. See our patch to ipt_TOS, for example.

http://static.openvz.org/openvz_userbar_en.gif
Previous Topic: Which service is needed to the host OS?
Next Topic: Dell Dimension 4300 - NIC module dmfe missing
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Oct 18 09:40:35 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.08944 seconds