OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Moving containers from CentOS 5 to CentOS 6 (Can a OpenVZ container be moved from a different machine to another, with a different version of CentOS?)
icon5.gif  Moving containers from CentOS 5 to CentOS 6 [message #47565] Thu, 16 August 2012 10:51 Go to next message
Razva is currently offline  Razva
Hello,

I have a bunch of virtual machines, based on OpenVZ (+SolusVM), which I want to move on another physical machine/node.

Obviously I would like to install CentOS 6 on the new node, for various reasons.

So here's the question: can I move the OpenVZ containers from a CentOS 5.8 machine to a CentOS 6.3 machine?

Thanks!
Re: Moving containers from CentOS 5 to CentOS 6 [message #47575 is a reply to message #47565] Thu, 16 August 2012 17:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paparaciz
Yes you can,
but I recommend do offline migration
Re: Moving containers from CentOS 5 to CentOS 6 [message #47576 is a reply to message #47575] Thu, 16 August 2012 17:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Razva is currently offline  Razva
Ok, thanks for your reply!

Second question: will migrating a container from a 5.8 node to a 6.3 node upgrade the container itself? Or will the containers keep the same OS version, despite having a different host/node version?

Thanks!
Re: Moving containers from CentOS 5 to CentOS 6 [message #47578 is a reply to message #47565] Thu, 16 August 2012 18:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ales is currently offline  Ales
Of course it won't update the containers. Nothing within your containers will change.
Re: Moving containers from CentOS 5 to CentOS 6 [message #47580 is a reply to message #47576] Thu, 16 August 2012 22:32 Go to previous message
mustardman is currently offline  mustardman
Razva wrote on Thu, 16 August 2012 13:58
Ok, thanks for your reply!

Second question: will migrating a container from a 5.8 node to a 6.3 node upgrade the container itself? Or will the containers keep the same OS version, despite having a different host/node version?

Thanks!

I've moved containers from CE5 to CE6 nodes many times. Never had a problem. I used vzmigrate with default settings.
http://wiki.openvz.org/Migration_from_one_HN_to_another

It copies over live then shuts down the container and rsyncs any changes that may have occurred during the live migration. Works great.

As the previous poster stated, nothing with the container changes so you may have to edit the /etc/vz/CTID file to updated the IP if it's a different subnet, name servers if they are different, and also change the memory parameters from beancounter to vswap. Just use the included vswap template file which is found in the same directory to get those settings.

[Updated on: Thu, 16 August 2012 22:34]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: OpenVPN inside Container
Next Topic: Can not stop container
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Oct 14 18:28:44 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.05369 seconds