OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Installing openVZ in a production server (Installing openvz in an active production server with cPanel)
Installing openVZ in a production server [message #47148] Wed, 11 July 2012 19:23 Go to next message
Khaleal is currently offline  Khaleal
Hello,

I have a dedicated server running centOS with cPanel (Web hosting management control panel) installed.
Also, I have another VPS server which has a special website in it. in order to decrease the hosting costs I was thinking of creating a VPS container in the dedicated server and cancelling the VPS server.
My question is: Is it OK to install openvz software in the active dedicated server (which has cPanel with some sites) ? and then creating a VPS account? will this cause compatibility issues with the cPanel?

Thanks
Re: Installing openVZ in a production server [message #47163 is a reply to message #47148] Thu, 12 July 2012 18:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dzimi is currently offline  dzimi
It's only kernel (few extra syscalls + changes in memory managament (vSwap), filesystem (quota support for ext{3,4}, reiserfs (AFAIK) & nfs), etc) and one tool (vzctl).
Your cPanel should work without any problems with OpenVZ kernel.

First of all try to reboot with new kernel and if everything will work them install vzctl.

Remember: /vz need some extra disk space so if you don't have enought free space on a root partition (/) then mount any other free volume (for example LVM, or extra disk) at /vz.
Re: Installing openVZ in a production server [message #47164 is a reply to message #47163] Thu, 12 July 2012 18:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Khaleal is currently offline  Khaleal
dzimi wrote on Thu, 12 July 2012 14:48
It's only kernel (few extra syscalls + changes in memory managament (vSwap), filesystem (quota support for ext{3,4}, reiserfs (AFAIK) & nfs), etc) and one tool (vzctl).
Your cPanel should work without any problems with OpenVZ kernel.

First of all try to reboot with new kernel and if everything will work them install vzctl.

Remember: /vz need some extra disk space so if you don't have enought free space on a root partition (/) then mount any other free volume (for example LVM, or extra disk) at /vz.

And what if it didn't work? Can I uninstall openvz kernel and back to the original CentOS kernel?
Re: Installing openVZ in a production server [message #47165 is a reply to message #47164] Fri, 13 July 2012 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dzimi is currently offline  dzimi
Yes you can. Futhermore, OpenVZ kernel will not remove your old kernel so you can easily play with them using grub menu at boot time.
Re: Installing openVZ in a production server [message #49828 is a reply to message #47148] Sat, 22 June 2013 01:03 Go to previous message
tpassos is currently offline  tpassos
you had success?
tell us
Previous Topic: How many containers?
Next Topic: centOS + Cpanel + Openvz
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Aug 31 19:27:42 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.05416 seconds