OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Failed to set upstart as init (Can't get fedora to work after yum upgrade)
Failed to set upstart as init [message #44776] Mon, 02 January 2012 22:16 Go to next message
mperkel is currently offline  mperkel
I'm getting this message after upgrading Fedora 14 to either 15 or 16 using yum as guest.

Failed to set upstart as init: No such file or directory

Is there a fix?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Failed to set upstart as init [message #45415 is a reply to message #44776] Sun, 04 March 2012 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
KuJoe is currently offline  KuJoe
I ran into the same problem and could not find a resolution online. I was able to get this resolved though although unsure which steps (or combination of) fixed it.

Here's the error:
Failed to set upstart as init: No such file or directory

Here's what I did which resolved it:
1) Revert back to vzctl 3.0.29.3-1 (hxxp://wiki.solusvm.com/index.php/OpenVZ_Bugs) **Possibly not required? I never tried vzctl umount prior to the revert but only found out after trying vzctl destroy which provided an error that the VPS was mounted.**
2) vzctl umount <VZID>
3) vzctl start <VZID>

[Updated on: Sun, 04 March 2012 09:44]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Failed to set upstart as init [message #45515 is a reply to message #44776] Tue, 13 March 2012 18:07 Go to previous message
greg is currently offline  greg
The problem is, vzctl is feeling smart enough bypass init and try to use upstart directly. Unfortunalty, upstart is not installed part of the upgrade process.

To fix the problem, you have to install upstart in a non-running container:

cd /var/lib/vz/root/XXX
chroot .
yum install upstart
exit
vzctl start XXX

be very careful to select the correct architecture (x86 or amd64)

greg
Previous Topic: running vmware in an openvz container?
Next Topic: Can't get outside of host from container
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Sep 14 00:31:24 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04706 seconds