OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » OpenVZ and networking
OpenVZ and networking [message #45309] Thu, 23 February 2012 18:48 Go to next message
greenglue is currently offline  greenglue
Hi Everyone!

I am testing around with OpenVZ on my dedicated server and am having trouble getting networking properly configured to have the VPSs on the network for all the other computers to see. I am using wlan0 as the main network device and I know it had something to do with a bridge but am having serious difficulty. My network is using DHCP and private IP addresses. Also, I'm using Cent-OS 6.2.

Thanks!
Michael
Re: OpenVZ and networking [message #45320 is a reply to message #45309] Sat, 25 February 2012 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ales is currently offline  Ales
Bridges aren't needed for OpenVZ. Basically, you need to asign 1 IP to the your server's network card (let's say eth0) as you would if the server wasn't running opevz at all.

Do not assign other IPs to eth0, just assign them to your openvz containers with openvz tools. That's it.

[Updated on: Sat, 25 February 2012 02:26]

Report message to a moderator

Re: OpenVZ and networking [message #45321 is a reply to message #45320] Sat, 25 February 2012 02:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
But then would the VPSs appear on the network? They can't ping any other computers on the network even after assigning them IPs like 192.168.2.##
Re: OpenVZ and networking [message #45322 is a reply to message #45309] Sat, 25 February 2012 02:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ales is currently offline  Ales
Is this IP reserved for DHCP use? Did perhaps the DHCP server even assign it to your eth0..?

If you can, try setting up your server to use static IPs and go from there.
Re: OpenVZ and networking [message #45323 is a reply to message #45322] Sat, 25 February 2012 02:36 Go to previous message
Well my network does have DHCP and in the modem it has these 2 options under the network tab:Create a DHCP reservation: where I choose a device and a IP to give it AND DHCP Lease Table: where it shows set devices and their IPs and their Lease times. SO are you saying I should assign that device a static local IP with the DHCP Reservation to the computer hosting the VPSs?
Previous Topic: Intel e1000e Driver Bug
Next Topic: Kernel dentry cache
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Aug 13 17:22:32 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02788 seconds