OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Strange whois issue with whois.ripe.net
icon8.gif  Strange whois issue with whois.ripe.net [message #45129] Tue, 31 January 2012 17:29 Go to next message
tomp is currently offline  tomp
Hi,

We run a collection of 8 x CentOS 5 OpenVZ hardware nodes in a UK data center.

Each hardware node is on a private internal network that is connected to a firewall server running vanilla CentOS 5.

Everything seems to be working fine, except for 1 thing.

We run a service that runs regular whois lookups on IPs, however we have discovered that some of the containers cannot connect to whois.ripe.net on TCP port 43 (even using telnet it cannot connect).

Interestingly, the problem seems to be intermittent, and when we reboot the hardware node it becomes possible to telnet to that host again, but as soon as we try it from a container running on that hardware node it timesout and causes the hardware node to timeout too.

This seems to happen on 4 our of the 8 hardware nodes, and there seems to be no pattern between kernel version or useland versions.

Has anyone seen anything like this before!?

Thanks

Re: Strange whois issue with whois.ripe.net [message #45132 is a reply to message #45129] Tue, 31 January 2012 20:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paparaciz
I'm running centos6 on HN
and centos5 in CT

I had same issue, but what intresting it works with domains, but not with ip addresses

I mean
whois google.lt works
whois some_ip does not

just today I have found that when I do whois some_ip it tries to access some ipv6 ip address.

if in CT I disable ipv6 networking it works
so, in CT file /etc/sysconfig/network
set
NETWORKING_IPV6="no"

restart network in CT:
/etc/init.d/network restart

and it should work
Re: Strange whois issue with whois.ripe.net [message #45169 is a reply to message #45129] Sat, 04 February 2012 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, thanks for that, I will try and give it a go.

Re: Strange whois issue with whois.ripe.net [message #45470 is a reply to message #45129] Mon, 12 March 2012 12:31 Go to previous message
Hi,

I have tried that approach and it has not helped the issue.

Interestingly it seems to be caused by upgrading the machines to the later versions of the OpenVZ kernel.

I cannot even telnet to the RIPE IP 193.0.6.135 on port 43.
Previous Topic: wron date using vzdump
Next Topic: impossible to connect to port 3306
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Jul 26 04:24:36 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03465 seconds