OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » running vmware in an openvz container?
running vmware in an openvz container? [message #45057] Wed, 25 January 2012 01:18 Go to next message
joeblow is currently offline  joeblow
New to openvz, still low on the learning curve, so apologies if this is a stupid question.

I'm running proxmox VE 2.0 beta. I'll be using RHEL5 or some variant in openvz containers. Can vmware-workstation be installed and run in such a container ?

Thanks!
Re: running vmware in an openvz container? [message #45199 is a reply to message #45057] Thu, 09 February 2012 20:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
VDSExtreme is currently offline  VDSExtreme
No, that is not possible. VMWare need to compile some kernel modules. OpenVZ gives not the permission to his containers to change hardware kernel modules.

Kind regards,

VDS Extreme - Technical Department
Re: running vmware in an openvz container? [message #45482 is a reply to message #45057] Mon, 12 March 2012 20:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
divB is currently offline  divB
This is not completely correct.

As far as I remember I managed to run virtualbox inside a container.

As long the software accesses all its functions through device files, these nodes can be imported into a container. The most critical stuff (according to my experience) is everything network-related (e.g. bridging)

Regards
divB

Re: running vmware in an openvz container? [message #45483 is a reply to message #45482] Mon, 12 March 2012 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
VDSExtreme is currently offline  VDSExtreme
We are talking here about VMWare, not Virtualbox.

Kind regards,

VDS Extreme - Technical Department
Re: running vmware in an openvz container? [message #45506 is a reply to message #45057] Tue, 13 March 2012 13:38 Go to previous message
Ales is currently offline  Ales
Still, if you have control over the hardware node and the actual kernel, it might be possible. Same as VirtualBox.
Previous Topic: Firmware Conflict on Latest Kernel
Next Topic: Failed to set upstart as init
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Aug 13 23:26:07 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02825 seconds