OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Squeeze Upgrade in HN and on VZ Containers
Squeeze Upgrade in HN and on VZ Containers [message #45023] Sat, 21 January 2012 18:38 Go to next message
mattla93 is currently offline  mattla93
Hello,

the actual stable Release for Debian is now Squeeze (6.0), I have installed Lenny on my HN and my OpenVZ Machines. Lenny Support for Updates will be unavailable after February 2012, so I'd like to upgrade my machines.

I have some questions bevore:
1) Can I Upgrade my Hardware Node to squeeze without Problems (also when there are containers on it with Lenny installed, or have I to upgrade the Containers to squeeze first)?

2) Is it possible to upgrade only the Containers to Squeeze, but Running the HN with Lenny?

3) Is it possible to have the HN on squeeze and the Containers on Lenny?

My System at the moment:
root@gateway:~# uname -r
2.6.26-2-openvz-686
root@gateway:~# cat /etc/debian_version 
root@gateway:~# vzctl exec 102 cat /etc/debian_version
root@gateway:~# vzctl exec 101 cat /etc/debian_version

Re: Squeeze Upgrade in HN and on VZ Containers [message #45025 is a reply to message #45023] Sun, 22 January 2012 02:46 Go to previous message
ragubhat is currently offline  ragubhat
>> Can I Upgrade my Hardware Node to squeeze without Problems?
>>

You can upgrade with no issues. Stop the CTs and then upgrade the Debian GNU system on the HN. The CTs with Lenny on them will continue to work even after the Squeeze upgrade on the HN.

>> Is it possible to upgrade only the Containers to Squeeze, but Running the HN with Lenny?
>>

This is possible too. The previous option is more sound!

>> Is it possible to have the HN on squeeze and the Containers on Lenny?
>>

Possible.

Do change to the amd64 platform tree including the amd64 kernel binaries, particularly so on the HN, if 'grep lm /proc/cpuinfo' shows up lm.

--
Best
Raghavendra Bhat
Previous Topic: Rhel6 kernel memory limit at 16gb?
Next Topic: Kernel panic 2.6.32-042stab044.17
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 27 07:27:44 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04294 seconds