OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Fedora 16 Problem (Problem with OpenVZ on Fedora 16)
Fedora 16 Problem [message #44802] Thu, 05 January 2012 14:36 Go to next message
joseph_h3 is currently offline  joseph_h3
Hey guys,
I just downloaded openVZ on my Linux Fedora 16 machine. When i rebooted the openVZ option on the boot menu would not load correctly. It makes it to the full fedora logo but doesnt go any further from there. Same thing happens when i select my normal fedora boot, except, it takes a very very very long time to make it to the fedora logo then doesnt go any further. Some of you may think I am just being impatient (which I may in fact be) but this machine was built by me 2 weeks ago (and booted up extremely fast before openVZ). I tried to run safemode so that i could remove openVZ to no avail. When I followed the guide I disabled SELINUX which was a very very stupid decision, when i try to run safemode it says somthing like "SELINUX = Disabled cannot run safemode" and switches to trying to boot off my normal Fedora 16 OS.

Thanks in advance!
-Joseph
Re: Fedora 16 Problem [message #44825 is a reply to message #44802] Fri, 06 January 2012 20:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ales is currently offline  Ales
Fedora 16 can't run with OpenVZ's RHEL6 kernel. With other words, you're out of luck, Fedora 16 isn't supported at this time.

What you need to do in order to get your install back is simply boot with regular Fedora kernel (or your Fedora setup disc in restore mode), uninstall vzkernel, vzquota, vzctl and vzctl-lib, than revert any other changes you have made.

For starters, simply press esc while your system is booting to your regular Fedora kernel in order to see what goes on behind the scenes. There isn't much sense in just staring at the Fedora logo, is there? Twisted Evil

It might be as simple as waiting for a timeout or pressing esc some more, to get your system to fully boot with regular Fedora kernel and vzctl installed at the same time. But your system is perfectly salvagable, nothing has been lost. You'll just need to get acquainted with the command line for a tiny little bit, if you want to solve this.
Re: Fedora 16 Problem [message #44828 is a reply to message #44802] Fri, 06 January 2012 22:34 Go to previous message
joseph_h3 is currently offline  joseph_h3
Great thanks for the help! Before you responded I got so frustrated that i just decided to change OS from Fedora 16 KSFE (mightve been XFSE i cant remember) to Fedora 16 KDE. So far I am COMPLETELY satisfied with the change the KDE version of Fedora 16 is amazingly awesome. The interface is extremely pleasing to the eye and I feel like its easier to navigate. I also found different software to run a VM off of that works properly (Oracle VirtalBox)

Thanks again!
-Joseph
Previous Topic: PROBLEM with VENET0 after migrate container new server
Next Topic: ipv6 not working with Centos 6.2 and 042stab042.1
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Oct 17 11:15:39 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.05267 seconds