OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » How about memory
How about memory [message #44541] Tue, 13 December 2011 21:42 Go to next message
ELectro-X is currently offline  ELectro-X
Hi,
I tested OpenVZ on a CentOS 6 with the latest stable kernel.

I have a question about memory information.
When i execute "free -m" on virtual server result is 836Mo used and at the same time i execute "free-m" on OpenVZ server i obtain 512mo used.

Is-it normal? why memory utilisation is not counted in OpenVZ memory utilisation?

Thx.
Re: How about memory [message #44565 is a reply to message #44541] Wed, 14 December 2011 17:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mustardman is currently offline  mustardman
Things certainly have gotten more confusing with RHEL 6 ovz kernel.

beancounters now show cached memory inside vps's instead of on the node. At least I think that is what is happening.

I think free -m was reporting incorrectly inside VPS's because of this and/or vswap on early rhel6 ovz kernels. Not sure if it still is. Still trying to figure it all out myself and meanwhile the kernel developers are still modifying things with memory management on RHEL6 ovz kernel with each new kernel release. I think they are about done now on test kernels but we won't see all the changes until the next stable kernel. Hopefully that will happen soon.

If this node is not in production or not critical I would suggest you load the latest RHEL 6 test kernel if you haven't already to get the latest changes in memory management.

[Updated on: Wed, 14 December 2011 17:30]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How about memory [message #44572 is a reply to message #44541] Thu, 15 December 2011 07:00 Go to previous message
ELectro-X is currently offline  ELectro-X
Thank you for your answer.

I just to try with the latest testing Kernel 2.6.32-042stab044.9 and i have the same problem.
After both machine boot i have 515mo on OpenVZ serveur and 854mo on Virtual Machine.

I have installed iredmail ldap on virtual machine

On a fresh installed virtual machine free -m show 13mo used i think it's good.
Previous Topic: Starting container crashes host
Next Topic: create openvz container
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jul 21 13:27:13 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02374 seconds