OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Strange server error (Strange server error)
Strange server error [message #44334] Wed, 30 November 2011 13:49 Go to next message
mad4solusvm is currently offline  mad4solusvm
Hellow all, I wonder if anyone can help me out here. I have a strange error with my server. Here is the issue I have;

I am running out of space on my SolusVm Master Node, so last night had a new drive put in it. Then I went to shut down the OpenVZ containers I wanted to move to the new drive. I did all the nessesry follow steps.

- Shut the VPS down
- Changed the for example 105.conf file to reflect its new destination
- Then went to move the OpenVZ container to its new home on the new drive

As I started to transfer the directories that I needed to move I got the following error message come up;

Error "Operation not permitted" while copying "/vz/private...pm/sleep.d".

I went back to SolusVM to ask why this would be, There reply was "You will have to shut the vps down first! Some files can't be copied if the vps is online." Of course this was already a step I had taken, so unsure as to why this would be showing me an error. Nothing is supposed to be running in the OpenVZ container as its been shutdown before I even started to edit config files for the VPS.

If this is an issue you have come across before and know a solutions please let me know, as its driving me nuts and I have only 30mb left on the main drive and I really need to move these vps's over onto their new drive.

Would be very greatfull of all advice and help offered.

Regards
Dean
Re: Strange server error [message #44342 is a reply to message #44334] Thu, 01 December 2011 19:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TheStig is currently offline  TheStig
can u tell us a little bit more detailed how you try to move your container from one drive to another and how you prepared the new harddrive?

also try running the commands with strace and try to find out with lsof or fuser which program is blocking the mentioned file(s).
Re: Strange server error [message #44350 is a reply to message #44342] Thu, 01 December 2011 20:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have fixed the posted error, However i have a new now;

[root@localhost ~]# vzctl start 105
Warning: configuration file for distribution 102 not found, using defaults from /etc/vz/dists/default
Starting container ...
Container is mounted
Adding IP address(es): xx.xx.xx.xx
Setting CPU limit: 400
Setting CPU units: 1000
Setting CPUs: 4
Container start in progress...
[root@localhost ~]#

Im guessing container 105 is not starting because of the following Warning message

Warning: configuration file for distribution 102 not found, using defaults from /etc/vz/dists/default

Is there a way of fixing this issue?

Regards
Dean
Re: Strange server error [message #44351 is a reply to message #44334] Thu, 01 December 2011 21:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
did you specify an OSTEMPLATE in your 105.conf
Re: Strange server error [message #44353 is a reply to message #44351] Thu, 01 December 2011 21:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ahhhh yes it did but now its been fixed and the 105 container still wont boot its driving me nutty Confused
Re: Strange server error [message #44354 is a reply to message #44351] Thu, 01 December 2011 21:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is how it is atm;

VE_ROOT="/vz/root/$VEID"
VE_PRIVATE="/vz2/private/$VEID"
OSTEMPLATE="centos-6-cpanel"
ORIGIN_SAMPLE="vps.basic"
IP_ADDRESS="xx.xxx.xxx.xxx"
HOSTNAME="vps105.hostname.com"
NAMESERVER="8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4"
MEMINFO="pages:774144"
QUOTAUGIDLIMIT="10000"
IOPRIO="4"
CPULIMIT="400"
CPUS="4"
SWAPPAGES="0"
Re: Strange server error [message #44356 is a reply to message #44334] Thu, 01 December 2011 22:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
can you please give a much more detailed report on what exaclty you are experiencing. how should someone help you with this lack of information?
what do you mean by "it wont boot"?

as far as i know "Container start in progress..." and the following dropping to shell should mean that the containers init process and all the necessary scripts on the HN's side exited without error.
Re: Strange server error [message #44358 is a reply to message #44356] Thu, 01 December 2011 22:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, when i am in SolusVM admin panel, i goto the OpenVZ VPS server list and begin to start them all, and they all exicute and come online bar one, that one being container 105.

I have recently moved host nodes, and have used the following commands to move the containers from one node to the other.

STEP 1:

wget http :// files.soluslabs.com/solusvm/scripts/keyput.sh
chmod a+x keyput.sh
./keyput.sh <destination_node_ip> <destination_node_port>
destination_node_ip = the ip of the node I was to transfer the virtual server to.
destination_node_port = the SSH port of the node i wanted to transfer the virtual server to.

STEP 2:

vzmigrate -v --ssh="-p <destination_node_port>" <destination_node_ip> <container_id>

After doing this i managed to get all containers online fine using this method bar container 105. Im confused as to why it doesnt seam to want to come online.

Regards
Re: Strange server error [message #44359 is a reply to message #44334] Thu, 01 December 2011 22:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
still: what do you mean by "online". what is the state of the VPS when vzlist is issued after vzctl start 105, and what is the output of the latter?

a VPS could be booted an still not be "online", as the services/daemons may fail to start. if vzctl start 105 exits with "Container start in progress..." and no following error message you should be able to enter a VPS by using vzctl enter 105.

[Updated on: Thu, 01 December 2011 22:52]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Strange server error [message #44360 is a reply to message #44359] Thu, 01 December 2011 23:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You know ONLINE in the web browser and also status wise. Im not sure if you have any expereince with SolusVM, but in the admin panel next to the container summery it has a status lights;

Red = Stopped
Black = Suspended
Green = For started

Now to help make this clearer this is what i have just done in terminal;

[root@localhost ~]# vzctl start 105
Starting container ...
Container is mounted
Adding IP address(es): xx.xxx.xxx.xxx
Setting CPU limit: 400
Setting CPU units: 1000
Setting CPUs: 4
Container start in progress...
[root@localhost ~]# vzlist
      CTID      NPROC STATUS    IP_ADDR         HOSTNAME
       106         79 running   xx.xx.xx.xx     domain.co.uk
[root@localhost ~]# vzctl enter 105
Container is not running
[root@localhost ~]#
Re: Strange server error [message #44364 is a reply to message #44334] Fri, 02 December 2011 16:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What you are describing sounds like a bug to me: At least the userspace tools should not report different states (vzlist reporting a started VPS and vzctl enter telling you the container is not running).
What is the content of /vz/root/105 after vzctl start 105 tells you that it has started the VM?
Re: Strange server error [message #44370 is a reply to message #44334] Fri, 02 December 2011 19:52 Go to previous message
Ales is currently offline  Ales
Well, the vzctl start 105 reports success, vzlist reports that 106 is running (not 105) and vzctl enter naturally can't enter 105.

It seems that the container 105 crashes soon after vzctl start reports sucess, the question is why?
Previous Topic: backup error
Next Topic: system with 2.6.32-5-openvz-686 doesnt boot up
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 15 10:35:28 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02376 seconds