OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » OpenVZ Networking Question
OpenVZ Networking Question [message #43965] Thu, 03 November 2011 14:57 Go to next message
ZED99 is currently offline  ZED99
I'm setting up a new box with a /29 and openvz and I wonder what is the recommended way to do the IP configuration? Nat or Bridge? I'm familiar with FreeBSD jails and in that case I think all I had to do was add the container/jail ips as aliases on eth0, the rest just worked. I've seen tutorials for NATing and Bridging traffic through venet0 but I'm wondering what the best way would be for my setup. Since i have a /29 the first IP will be the host and the other 4 will be containers, each should have their own public IP. How do I forward traffic to them so they respond just as if they were physical boxes?

Thank you!
Re: OpenVZ Networking Question [message #43971 is a reply to message #43965] Thu, 03 November 2011 17:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ales is currently offline  Ales
I assume all 5 IPs are in the same subnet? Bind the first IP to the hardware node's eth0 as you would normally do, that's it. No need for aliases, no need for any kind of manual traffic forwarding.

Afterwards assign other 4 IP's to specific virtual machines trough openvz scripts. They'll just "magically" work. You can either assign one or more of the IPs to a single virtual machine.

It's really that simple.
Re: OpenVZ Networking Question [message #43973 is a reply to message #43965] Thu, 03 November 2011 18:25 Go to previous message
ZED99 is currently offline  ZED99
Yes all ip are part of the same /29. I guess the reason why that step is missing from the tutorials is because of it's "magical" nature! I'll give it a shot when I get home tonight and report back.

Thank you
Previous Topic: Container internet problem
Next Topic: How do I setup NFS server in a container at all?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Sep 16 22:50:13 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04676 seconds