OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » RHEL6 kernel and cache/free memory
Re: RHEL6 kernel and cache/free memory [message #43535 is a reply to message #43520] Mon, 19 September 2011 19:16 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
mustardman is currently offline  mustardman
raver119 wrote on Sun, 18 September 2011 11:10
Bump.

Atm i see that page cache isnt working inside containers only.
VE0 caching is ok, but in containers only 200-300MB is used for cache.

And server still has around 10GB of free memory.

Are you using new memory config files inside containers? You cannot use old Beancounter oriented RHEL5 config files for RHEL6 nodes. At least that is what I have found. You must use new config files that are designed for new memory management technique.

Files are located in /etc/sysconfig/vz-scripts on the Node. You should have sample conf files such as ve-vswap-512m.conf-sample. You need to use those for container configuration on RHEL6 nodes. If you use the old beancounter oriented config files such as ve-vps.basic.conf-sample on RHEL6 nodes then wierd things happen. At least that is what I have found.

Also, do you understand how memory caching works? It will try take advantage of all available memory by gradually filling up over time as the system is used. Do not confuse that with unavailable memory. All cached memory is available to the system if it needs it so it is the same as free memory in that respect.

With RHEL6 cached memory now happens (visually) inside the container as well. Not sure if the Node treats it any differently or if it just makes it visible inside the container now. I could not find any documentation on that. Only documentation I found is on vswap which I guess is related to the new memory management technique but is not required. I currently just set vswap to 0.

[Updated on: Mon, 19 September 2011 19:26]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: centos 6 network scripts