OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED=y && CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED_V2=y (Hard coded in menuconfig, why?)
icon5.gif  CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED=y && CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED_V2=y [message #43004] Wed, 29 June 2011 14:12 Go to next message
yettyn is currently offline  yettyn
Hi!

I just upgraded to openvz-2.6.32.1 and when configurating the kernel with 'make menuconfig' I notice both
CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED=y
and
CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED_V2=y

to be hard coded, well well.

I then move on to update my version of udev and although it goes well and all so far seems to be ok, it leave me with this (worrying) message:
Quote:
* Messages for package sys-fs/udev-171-r1:

* CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED: should not be set. But it is.
* CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED_V2: should not be set. But it is.
* Please check to make sure these options are set correctly.
* Failure to do so may cause unexpected problems.

Obviously I'm concerned and in question here, am I OK and can simply overlook this or may it be that this hard code of Config has it's root inherit something unwanted from older kernel config (I ran # make oldconfig on the old .config) and I should simply correct this manually - or what's the story behind this?

I searched both forum and user/dev list without finding anything making it clearer to me.

EDIT: By "hard coded" I mean the option cannot be switched On/Off in menuconfig and shows up as -*- in the selections column.

Kernel 2.6.32-125.3
vzctl 4.9.4
Gentoo Linux x64

[Updated on: Wed, 29 June 2011 19:22]

Report message to a moderator

BUMP: CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED=y && CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED_V2=y [message #43504 is a reply to message #43004] Sat, 17 September 2011 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well after 4929 views and no reply it must be a valid move to bump this. Obviously there is an interest in this matter but no one with an answer? The problem is that udev apparently want these to be set to =n but what consequences will it have? and taking the the 'trail 'n error' path isn't that inviting, so someone with some knowledge, please?

Kernel 2.6.32-125.3
vzctl 4.9.4
Gentoo Linux x64
Re: CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED=y && CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED_V2=y [message #43507 is a reply to message #43004] Sat, 17 September 2011 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cybernet2u is currently offline  cybernet2u
just wait untill centos releases 6.1 and the official kernel is integrated with openVZ patch then you can use it with no worries Razz
Re: CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED=y && CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED_V2=y [message #43510 is a reply to message #43507] Sat, 17 September 2011 19:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well thanks for replying, but it wasn't really an answer to my question. I'm sure centos is a nice distro for those who like that type of distro but I use Gentoo and have no intention to change that.

Kernel 2.6.32-125.3
vzctl 4.9.4
Gentoo Linux x64
Re: CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED=y && CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED_V2=y [message #43514 is a reply to message #43004] Sun, 18 September 2011 04:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ales is currently offline  Ales
cybernet2u, OpenVZ and CentOS aren't connected in any way. Latest OpenVZ RHEL 6 kernel is the latest RHEL 6.1 kernel + OpenVZ patch.

To perhaps give a suggestion to the original poster - AFAIK, only RHEL 4, 5 and 6 kernels are currently supported by the OpenVZ developers. Perhaps you could try using the RHEL 6 kernel under Gentoo and if the problem still persists, the solution might be easier to find here?

I'm not familiar with the Gentoo project structure, perhaps they have an openvz maintainer (I assume your kernel comes from Gentoo itself?) who could provide more information to your particular case?
Re: CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED=y && CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED_V2=y [message #43521 is a reply to message #43004] Sun, 18 September 2011 15:52 Go to previous message
Thanks for your reply Ales,

Yes I understand RHEL 6.1 kernel will change things and I'm sure it will get an ebuild in Gentoo once it's stable enough Wink but the config supplied by openvz team still have the same values hard coded in RHEL 6.1 so the "issue" still remains and the question goes unanswered.

I use Kernel 2.6.32 feoktistov.1, which was a supported openvz dev kernel until RHEL6 was released, and is still the de facto "stable" openvz kernel on Gentoo.

And yes, there is a Gentoo maintainer and I have raised the question in the Gentoo forum as well, but found it logical to go here first. I haven't addressed the Gentoo maintainer directly though, not yet.

My original post here came about after updating udev and it complained about the said hard coded parameters, although it has workedok so far, but now there was yet another udev update which appear to be a bit more Major and I don't want to risk my system to go south, so the question has become very current again and out of the view interest for this thread I assume I'm not alone having "worries".

Kernel 2.6.32-125.3
vzctl 4.9.4
Gentoo Linux x64
Previous Topic: Please help, Node won't reboot
Next Topic: Assign domainname to container
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jul 14 19:46:49 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02341 seconds