OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Container using veth, but venet0 scripts are being auto-created (Networking breaks on container startup)
Container using veth, but venet0 scripts are being auto-created [message #43486] Thu, 15 September 2011 21:38
gkmac is currently offline  gkmac
I'm running OpenVZ with Gentoo Linux installations as guests. One of my containers is networked using veth (which I need for Samba and DHCP). Every time this container is started it is unable to network without manual intervention.

I followed various tutorials and set it up so that the network interface within this guest is known as eth0, so there's a standard /etc/init.d/net.eth0 script as well as a symlink to it from /etc/runlevels/default/net.eth0 and thus eth0 should be brought up before Samba, DHCP and other programs that depend on it.

The problem is when I start that container, something creates /etc/init.d/net.venet0 and adds a symlink in /etc/runlevels/default/ before the init begins. This is incorrect because this container uses veth and not venet.

The result is that it tries to bring up net.venet0 which doesn't exist in the container, and causes all network-dependent programs to fail to start. I have to enter the container, init 1, delete /etc/init.d/net.venet0 and the runlevel symlink and then init 3 to get everything to work properly.

I thought that removing all references to net.venet0 as detailed above would be enough. However when I next (re)start the container those net.venet0 files are incorrectly recreated again, and thus this container cannot start up unattended.

What is causing these net.venet0 files to be created, and how can I stop it?

gkmac

Read Message
Previous Topic: uptime collected by zabbix_agent
Next Topic: Centralized Storage and OpenVZ and NFS: Messy .nfs files all over Containers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Sep 16 19:38:57 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.05837 seconds