OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Server won't reboot after install
Server won't reboot after install [message #42789] Sat, 28 May 2011 10:07 Go to next message
Josh is currently offline  Josh
Hello.

I've installed OpenVZ a number of times and I've never had a problem until now. I'm leasing an AMD Phenom II 1055T server and installing OVZ is being a major pain.

I follow the instructions in the OVZ wiki (the Quick Install Guide) to the letter (using yum rather than rpm) and then when I reboot, nothing. I can't tell what's wrong because my only option is to have the server wiped so I can start again. Obviously this can only occur so many times.

Does anyone have any idea what might be happening?
I'm using CentOS 5.6 64 bit and it's a fresh install (once with a yum update but I tried once without).

Thanks to anyone who has had this issue before!
Re: Server won't reboot after install [message #42793 is a reply to message #42789] Sun, 29 May 2011 18:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ales is currently offline  Ales
Quote:
I can't tell what's wrong because my only option is to have the server wiped so I can start again.

Why would you need to wipe the server, just boot your previous kernel. I'm sure your user support could do that for you...

Also, after finishing the OpenVZ install and before rebooting, check your /boot/grub/grub.conf. If you google a bit, you'll find ways to reboot into a certain kernel just once, afer another reset, the server will boot into another kernel again. That will eliminate the need to wipe out the server even if your support won't choose the kernel for you.

Without knowing what's the error, there really isn't much to go on. Perhaps you have some hardware that isn't supported by the OpenVZ kernel? Is you server running a stock CentOS kernel otherwise?

[Updated on: Sun, 29 May 2011 18:47]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Server won't reboot after install [message #42891 is a reply to message #42789] Wed, 15 June 2011 04:47 Go to previous message
imatwb is currently offline  imatwb
If it's not booting into openvz, then you need to modify your grub.conf file to change the menu selection time and/or perhaps the default os to load. Also, when you're in, do a uname -r to see if you're actually on the openvz system and not another os.
Previous Topic: How many containers can I create ?
Next Topic: initcwnd adjustment using RHEL5 kernels?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Aug 13 23:19:26 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04074 seconds