OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » How many containers can I create ? (Scaling containers )
How many containers can I create ? [message #42876] Mon, 13 June 2011 20:32 Go to next message
vinaywagh
Hi,

I am trying to evaluate whether to use OpenVZ depending on whether it will scale to my needs. I have a Jasper forrest (Dual Core CPU) 1.73Ghz with 32GB of RAM and 32GB of SSD storage. I want to be able to run in the order of 100's of containers. Each container will have roughly 30 processes (not counting the standard linux processes like sshd etc). All containers will not be busy ..

I want to know how 'heavy' each container is in terms of memory/storage overhead. Is there any benchmarking data for how long it takes to create a container on a standard platform ? Has Open Vz been deployed with so many containers ? What are the areas I should be concerned about ?

Any pointers will be appreciated. If this is not the right forum for this question please recommend one that is, this is my first post.

Thanks,
Vinay
Re: How many containers can I create ? [message #42890 is a reply to message #42876] Wed, 15 June 2011 04:43 Go to previous message
imatwb is currently offline  imatwb
Best way to find out is to stress test your machine. As for the # of containers, I'd start with 10, then 20, then 30, then 50,...until it breaks. Then you'll know what the limit is.
Previous Topic: start/stop hooks broken or I do smth wrong?
Next Topic: Server won't reboot after install
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Sep 16 20:38:17 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04852 seconds