OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » hotplug causing problems - need udev, fuse+sshfs, x2go (udev requires hotplug support, not started. failed!)
icon4.gif  hotplug causing problems - need udev, fuse+sshfs, x2go [message #42382] Fri, 08 April 2011 20:35 Go to next message
atariCndyFlp is currently offline  atariCndyFlp
The end game is to install x2go on a Debian 5 (lenny) container, without having host node control.

The problem is with "hotplug" (apparently it's a fuse component). When running "aptitude install fuse-utils sshfs", this is the error:
udev active, skipping device node creation.
udev requires hotplug support, not started. failed!
 failed!

That particular error seems to trigger due to absence of the file /sys/kernel/uevent_helper.

The openvz wiki for FUSE suggests that getting fuse installed is a simple matter of running: "modprobe --first-time fuse" before installing sshfs. However, there is no fuse module in /lib/modules/2.6.18-194.../.

Re: hotplug causing problems - need udev, fuse+sshfs, x2go [message #42387 is a reply to message #42382] Sat, 09 April 2011 18:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ales is currently offline  Ales
I'm not familiar with this particular problem, but kernel modules can only be handled from the host node.

It seems you will have to ask who ever has control over the HN to do this for you.
Re: hotplug causing problems - need udev, fuse+sshfs, x2go [message #42389 is a reply to message #42387] Sun, 10 April 2011 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ales wrote on Sat, 09 April 2011 14:28
I'm not familiar with this particular problem, but kernel modules can only be handled from the host node.

It seems you will have to ask who ever has control over the HN to do this for you.

I've studied this further and what I've gathered is that debian devs have decided to create a dependency on a component that requires hardware access, even though sshfs and higher packages do not ultimately need direct hardware access. It seems to have been imposed for some kind of convenience.

I'm not sure if it's something that can be enabled by the HN operator. Perhaps I could convince those controlling the HN to give me special access. But in principle, it's a flawed approach. Tuomas Noraef points out in debian bug report 503953 that it defeats the point of openvz model of isolating instances.

[Updated on: Sun, 10 April 2011 10:07]

Report message to a moderator

Re: hotplug causing problems - need udev, fuse+sshfs, x2go [message #42390 is a reply to message #42382] Sun, 10 April 2011 10:12 Go to previous message
I have discovered that freenx and nomachine also require udev access -- but neatx does not.

Neatx accomplishes the same without requiring special hardware access and HN intervention, it will be the way forward for me, and probably for most who require NX technology on an openvz container.
Previous Topic: gnome on debian 5 (lenny)
Next Topic: Scientific Linux 6
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Aug 26 11:20:10 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03237 seconds