OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Very slow VE stopping + high CPU usage
Very slow VE stopping + high CPU usage [message #41289] Thu, 23 December 2010 09:54 Go to next message
hybrid512 is currently offline  hybrid512
Hi,

I'm using ProxMox with vzctl 3.0.24 with Gentoo VEs.
I run into some strange behaviour and I don't see how I can correct this, maybe someone could help me.

Here the problem :
Everything works absolutely fine with my VEs but when I want to stop a VE with vzctl stop CTID, the container is very very long to stop, it can take 1 to 2mn while starting it is nearly instant.
While stopping, I have a process which is eating 100% CPU time on one of my CPU cores, as soon as this process stops, the VEs stops and everything is running normal, no impact on my other VEs.

Here is the blocking process : sulogin -t 10 /dev/console

What is it used for ?
Any idea on how I can fix this ?

Regards,
Re: Very slow VE stopping + high CPU usage [message #42167 is a reply to message #41289] Mon, 14 March 2011 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
UP !

No one getting this same problem ?

Regards,
Re: Very slow VE stopping + high CPU usage [message #42172 is a reply to message #42167] Tue, 15 March 2011 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nuno is currently offline  nuno
Containers don't have a console. One of the things one does to prepare a container is to remove the ttys from inittab and so on.

Anyway, the easiest way is to search for that command and remove it:

# grep -r sulogin /etc

That should give an idea where to search Wink

Regards,
Re: Very slow VE stopping + high CPU usage [message #42182 is a reply to message #42172] Tue, 15 March 2011 09:52 Go to previous message
Hi,

Thank you very much for the tip, in fact, inittab was already modified to remove ttys but there is a script, I guess this is a Gentoo specific one, which run this command, for those who are interested, this is /etc/init.d/halt.sh, you just have to comment the line with "sulogin -t 10 /dev/console" (line number 189).

Regards.
Previous Topic: device mapper inside VE
Next Topic: Start/stop VE
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jun 25 22:54:18 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02986 seconds