OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » CentOS forums claim OpenVZ containers/host as unsupported, so... (Since CentOS forum claims OpenVZ CentOS container as unsupported, not true CentOS, have following concerns...)
CentOS forums claim OpenVZ containers/host as unsupported, so... [message #41467] Thu, 27 January 2011 11:16 Go to previous message
falcon74 is currently offline  falcon74
Am pretty new to OpenVZ (and container based virutalization in general), so bear with what may be some silly questions.

My concerns...

1. For every package that doesn't come as part of the pre-built container templates, what options do I have to install those additional packages ?

2. Pure CentOS users can get lot of non-official s/w packages from EPEL & RPMforge. Is similar luxury available for use within OpenVZ CentOS based container ? Or do I need to download source and build such software packages ?

3. How much of a real difference exists, from a developer (who needs to compile / build software from source) and a user, between pure CentOS, and Container CentOS ?

4. What other surprises can I expect due to the difference between pure CentOS and OpenVZ modified CentOS ?

5. Finally, my intent is to use OpenVZ on 64-bit commodity servers (Athlon II X2 250 / dual-channel 4G DDR3 @1333MHz / 500GB 7200rpm SATA on Desktop mobo). Are they any specific gotchas for 64-bit ? I read an old post (circa 2009) citing issues with certain tools on CentOS 5.x, on 64-bit plaf.

thanks,
F74

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Install on ubuntu 10.04
Next Topic: Why I can't find the VCPU and FAIRSCHED in the 2.6.32 branch
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Aug 15 02:25:13 GMT 2024