OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » device mapper inside VE (be able to use dm-crypt and device mapper inside openvz)
device mapper inside VE [message #41369] Tue, 11 January 2011 11:12 Go to next message
jeanroch
hello,

I would like to encrypt an entire disk inside a VE with cryptsetup. But I didn't manage to use device mapper.

[root@sauvegarde ~]# dmsetup table /dev/vgr0/sauvegarde
/proc/devices: No entry for misc found
Is device-mapper driver missing from kernel?
/dev/mapper/control: open failed: Operation not permitted
Failure to communicate with kernel device-mapper driver.
Command failed

/proc/devices is empty and /dev/mapper/control is already present
[root@sauvegarde ~]# ll /dev/mapper/
total 0
crw-r----- 1 root root 10, 59 Jan 10 23:24 control

I have tried to give somes capability, but without success,
[root@storalca1 ~]# tail -2 /etc/vz/conf/48101.conf
DEVNODES="vgr0/sauvegarde:rw "
CAPABILITY="SYS_MODULE:on MKNOD:on "

kernel 2.6.32.25 with patch dzhanibekov (device mapper and dm-crypt are compiled in the kernel)
vzquota 3.0.12
vzctl 3.0.25
Re: device mapper inside VE [message #41420 is a reply to message #41369] Tue, 18 January 2011 17:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nuno is currently offline  nuno
I don't think you can do that without major hacking or giving the CT enough permissions to make it easy for someone in the CT to break free.
Re: device mapper inside VE [message #41426 is a reply to message #41420] Tue, 18 January 2011 22:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jeanroch
thanks for you answer nuno Smile

too bad that's not possible ;(

But there is nothing about it on openvz's documentation, where did you find the informations ? Did you already tryed it ?
Re: device mapper inside VE [message #42180 is a reply to message #41426] Tue, 15 March 2011 08:45 Go to previous message
nuno is currently offline  nuno
No, I didn't try it. But openvz's philosophy is to deny access to the hardware. Also, to use facilities provided by modules that module has to be "ported".

By the way, nothing is stopping you from making an encrypted volume in the HN and using that mount path as VE_PRIVATE's value.

In CTID.conf:
VE_PRIVATE="/already-mounted-encrypted-volume"

Regards,

Previous Topic: unknown source of system load
Next Topic: Very slow VE stopping + high CPU usage
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jun 29 13:41:19 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.05572 seconds