OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » vzdump snapshot: mode failure - unable to dump into snapshot (use option --dumpdir) (Cannot make a snapshot dump in the same LVM volume)
vzdump snapshot: mode failure - unable to dump into snapshot (use option --dumpdir) [message #41084] Sun, 14 November 2010 13:28
narcisgarcia is currently offline  narcisgarcia
I see that "prepare" function in the file "OpenVZ.pm" checks if the source container is in the same volume as tardet directory for backup package. In this case, doesn't work in 'snapshot' mode.

I've read that LVM grup needs to have at least 512MiB free (without volumes) for a temporal volume for the transactions. I suppose this is to transfer blocks of 512M on each time, and suppose there is no matter the container or its volume is bigger that 512MiB (?).

What I don't understand is the reason why cannot dump the data into a directory in the same volume. I may ignore how LVM snapshots work, if for example the data copied is all the LVM volume, independently of the selected content.

What could happen if the server has a single LVM volume for /vz and vzdump makes a snapshot backup of /vz/private/1001/ in /vz/dump/ ?
Is there a space reason? What could happen if in other destination there is no sufficient free space to save a backup?

Narcis Garcia
Previous Topic: RHEL 6 released
Next Topic: Glibc exploit [CVE-2010-3847]
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Aug 24 16:12:26 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03354 seconds