OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » OpenAFS module not loading
OpenAFS module not loading [message #41062] Wed, 10 November 2010 08:48 Go to next message
jmelyn is currently offline  jmelyn
Hello there,

I'm testing OpenVZ and I can now install a CT0 with PXE, create the image for guests, install the needed guests and finally customize them without any manual intervention.

However I still have a problem. I'm using Scientific Linux, directly derived from RHEL5, but with few special packages more, such as OpenAFS I need to manage user accounts. There is a kernel module for it, that checks the exact name of the running kernel; as the name is changed by OpenVZ (adding "stab..."), the OpenAFS module refuses to load and I have no OpenAFS service.

I have no experience in low level Linux, about modules to allow, avoid or force to load. Can anyone tell me whether it is possible to solve that problem, and how? Thanks in advance for help.
Re: OpenAFS module not loading [message #41063 is a reply to message #41062] Wed, 10 November 2010 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ales is currently offline  Ales
You'll need to rebuild the OpenAFS kernel module for the OpenVZ kernel.

This might be as simple as rebuilding the OpenAFS source RPM. In the worst case, you'll need to make some modifications to the code because of the differences between the stock RHEL kernel and the OpenVZ one.
Re: OpenAFS module not loading [message #41065 is a reply to message #41063] Wed, 10 November 2010 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jmelyn is currently offline  jmelyn
Thank you for your quick answer.

So I suppose I need to run the OpenVZ kernel, load OpenAFS kernel module source package, probably the kernel source and compiler too, recompile the module and make the new rpm package. Tell me if I'm wrong. I'm gonna check how to exactly make it...

[Updated on: Wed, 10 November 2010 14:10]

Report message to a moderator

Re: OpenAFS module not loading [message #41069 is a reply to message #41062] Wed, 10 November 2010 21:18 Go to previous message
Ales is currently offline  Ales
Yes, that would be it. You're going to need to run ovzkernel and have ovzkernel-headers, compilers and OpenAFS dependencies (probably various -devel packages) installed. You'll be able to see most of the dependencies listed in the OpenAFS .spec file.

As you already have a good SRPM, it might be as simple as 'rpmbuild -ba xxx.spec'.

I'd advise you to look at CentOS or Fedora RPM building how-to's (or Scientific Linux, if it has them). The entire process is documented very well and is a lot easier than it might seem. Just be sure to set up the RPM building environment properly and don't try to build the RPM on a production server as root.

Good luck.
Previous Topic: Missing modules for ipv6
Next Topic: Protecting your node/containers from attacks and spam
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Aug 11 08:29:01 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03051 seconds