OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Panic when booting from iSCSI (Panic when booting x86_64 CentOS 5.5 with 2.6.18-194.17.1.el5.028stab070.7 off an iSCSI target via gPXE)
Panic when booting from iSCSI [message #40960] Thu, 28 October 2010 06:54 Go to next message
billyblind
Greetings,

Having a trouble booting an ovzkernel off an iSCSI target. Was wondering if anybody struggled with something similar:

CentOS 5.5 installed and booted off an iSCSI target with a stock kernel.

Installed 2.6.18-194.17.1.el5.028stab070.7 as per instructions.

The kernel panicked not finding the root filesystem.

Inspecting the messages prior to the panic reveals a failure to configure the interface via DHCP:

Bringing up eth0
waiting for link... 0 seconds
Sending request for IP information through eth0
eth0: enabling interface
nic_get_links: no such device

naturally causing the iSCSI initiator to subsequently fail:

iscsistart: cannot make a connection to

Suspecting the network adapter, tried a 3Com with identical results.

There is nothing obviously wrong with the initrd - looks just like the stock one.

Any suggestions welcome.

--
Gleb
Re: Panic when booting from iSCSI [message #44448 is a reply to message #40960] Thu, 08 December 2011 15:34 Go to previous message
tlaine is currently offline  tlaine
Hi,

I have couple of dozen diskless IBM HS21&22 blades running openvz on CentOs5 from iSCSI + multipath. I don't know whether you have a solution or not, but here it is.

The problem is not your network adapter. I boot with Broadcom NetXtreme and NetXtreme II chips, and they all fail like yours. There is something different with RH/CentOS stock kernel and openvz kernel, which prevents the network command of nash functioning correctly. The modules get loaded and adapters initiated, but that's it. The initrd initscript never gets the adapters configured - no network, no iscsi, panic.

Solution is to configure the adapters with something else than the standard nash. This works for me: Extract the initrd to a temporary directory. Edit init, and replace the network lines with ifconfig so that you have something like:

netname XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX eth2
netname YY:YY:YY:YY:YY:YY eth3
/bin/ifconfig eth2 up 172.24.2.106
/bin/ifconfig eth3 up 172.24.3.106
/bin/ifconfig eth2 netmask 255.255.255.0
/bin/ifconfig eth3 netmask 255.255.255.0
sleep3

then check that you have the iscsistart lines after those ifconfigs:

/bin/iscsistart -t iqn.blaa -i iqn.blaablaa -g 1 -a 172.24.2.1

Copy statically linked busybox into initrds /bin and make a symlink ifconfig -> busybox into the same directory.

Repack the initrd and reboot.
Previous Topic: once again: too many orphaned sockets (1 in CTXXXX)
Next Topic: speed problem with CentOS 5
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Sep 30 22:49:59 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02328 seconds