OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Assign subnet to VM? Or increase routing table limits? (Need to assign an IPv6 subnet to a VM or be able to increase routing table limits)
Assign subnet to VM? Or increase routing table limits? [message #40516] Sat, 28 August 2010 03:32 Go to previous message
tywe is currently offline  tywe
Hello,

I'm trying to find a way to add a subnet of IPs to a VM instead of having to add individual IP addresses one by one. This is for IPv6, so it's quite common for clients to request larger subnets, but I always force them to have a block of 64 individual addresses or similar amount (128, 256, etc).

However, I recently hit a wall in the routing table around 1200 or so entries where I start getting this error when trying to add more IPv6 addresses:

RTNETLINK answers: Cannot allocate memory

And yes, the server has plenty of free RAM available, over 10GB is free.

So, I tried to find info on how to increase the routing table limits, but didn't have much luck there, so then I started trying to figure out a way to add a subnet instead of individual IP addresses, since this would be much easier for the routing table to handle. OpenVZ only seemed to allow individual IPs to be added, so I tried setting up a route for the subnet to the VPS without any luck. The route existed and the VM had everything setup on that end with a few IPs binding to it, so it seemed like it should work, but doesnt, which I guess is due to something internal with OpenVZ where a typical route won't be enough to complete the connection.

I also tried messing with veth devices instead of venet, but couldn't get anything to route through them either, which may have something to do with the original config and me not being able to take this server down to start testing any major network configurations.

Anyhow, hopefully someone can point me to some sort of solution for any of these issues and be able to add a subnet of IP addresses? If adding a subnet isn't possible for some reason, then hopefully we can at least increase my routing table limits?

Thanks very much for any suggestions you may have!

-tywe

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: PPP support
Next Topic: network troubles openvz+kvm
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Aug 10 19:14:07 GMT 2024