OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » UUID inside VE
UUID inside VE [message #40446] Thu, 19 August 2010 07:16 Go to next message
mwojciechowski is currently offline  mwojciechowski
Hi,

OpenVZ VE root block device is /dev/simfs. Unfortunately I need to provide UUID of it for licensing purposes.

UUID is "connected" with udev which is not used inside OpenVZ VEs so this may be a problem. There is no /etc/blkid.tab either. I tried to create one manualy just for test if blkid will read from it but it doesn't.

Is there any solution for this other than use KVM? Maybe some other location to manually enter the "fake" UUID?

Thanx,
Martin.
Re: UUID inside VE [message #40461 is a reply to message #40446] Fri, 20 August 2010 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maratrus is currently offline  maratrus
Hello,

Quote:

OpenVZ VE root block device is /dev/simfs. Unfortunately I need to provide UUID of it for licensing purposes.

sorry but I missed how exactly UUID is being checked?
Could you please explain in detail what kind of functionality
must be supported inside a VE?
Is a system_call being called? Or a file inside /dev is being checked? Or an output of some file must obey a particular rule?
Re: UUID inside VE [message #40466 is a reply to message #40461] Fri, 20 August 2010 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mwojciechowski is currently offline  mwojciechowski
maratrus wrote on Fri, 20 August 2010 10:38
Hello,

Is a system_call being called? Or a file inside /dev is being checked? Or an output of some file must obey a particular rule?

License generator is using system_call from within libuuid.so and libblkid.so

Details about the server:

I deployed one OpenVZ VE based on Centos 5.2-amd64 template and passed access to it to the company that installed the PACS system (for storing diagnostic image data). Few days ago I received a message from them, that their licensing mechanism is based on UUID of the root block device.

Kernel: 2.6.18-2-pve
HN: Proxmox 1.5 (debian based)
Re: UUID inside VE [message #40469 is a reply to message #40466] Fri, 20 August 2010 12:36 Go to previous message
maratrus is currently offline  maratrus
Is it possible to find out which system_call is called?
If there is an utility which fails the strace can be used.

But generally speaking, if some kernel functionality is used then
it's impossible to workaround without modification of the kernel.
Previous Topic: No pty and signal 9 VE autokill
Next Topic: Human readable status of 2.6.32 or source for this status?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Oct 18 08:29:40 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.07862 seconds