OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » stab069.6 kernel not stable
stab069.6 kernel not stable [message #40081] Thu, 15 July 2010 05:43 Go to next message
mustardman is currently offline  mustardman
2.6.18-194.3.1.el5.028stab069.6

I see you now have a new kernel you are testing in the stable branch that fixes some things like memory leaks. That would = bad and probably why my production server is crashing ever few days.

So I guess I don't need to work on getting a kdump now?

Anyone have any recommendations for a rock solid kernel version. Something that has been running for months under moderate to heavy usage without a hiccup. This is a production server and needs to just work.

[Updated on: Thu, 15 July 2010 06:14]

Report message to a moderator

Re: stab069.6 kernel not stable [message #40082 is a reply to message #40081] Thu, 15 July 2010 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
khorenko is currently offline  khorenko
i'm sorry, but i do not quite understand your situation:
what kernel do you run while your server crashes so often?
* 69.6 (from the stable branch)? If yes - have you filed any bug reports for this?

* or 70.2 (from the testing branch)? If so - a) why do you complain? b) have you filed any bug reports for this?

--
Konstantin

If your problem is solved - please, report it!
It's even more important than reporting the problem itself...
Re: stab069.6 kernel not stable [message #40085 is a reply to message #40082] Thu, 15 July 2010 16:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I am using 69.6 and it is crashing ever few days.

[Updated on: Thu, 15 July 2010 20:27]

Re: stab069.6 kernel not stable [message #40086 is a reply to message #40085] Thu, 15 July 2010 17:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mustardman wrote on Thu, 15 July 2010 20:34
Are you being sarcastic or maybe you do not read english well?

If I said I am using 69.6 that probably means I am using 69.6.

In the original message (before you updated it), you've said a couple of words about testing branch, thus i thought it would be better to make it clear.

Quote:
I am in the process of setting up kdump but this is a PRODUCTION server. I cannot just turn it into a test system to gather kernel dump information. I don't see why I should be doing this in the first place when this is supposed to be a stable kernel.

By the way, kdump is not the only way to collect the necessary logs, you might want to check up others, may be it would be easier to install serial or network console instead.
http://wiki.openvz.org/Remote_console_setup

Quote:
I am not happy because this is supposed to be a stable kernel. I am no kernel test expert but I would think they would test for memory leaks before releasing a kernel to the stable branch. Seeing as how there is a newer kernel and they are apparently aware of the problems with the current kernel I don't see the point in gathering kernel dump info and, as I have already said, this is a production server. I'm not about to start experiments with it!

No guarantees anybody else ever experienced the very same issue you do, so it's your choice to collect info about the issue or just wait till somebody faces it too and provides the required info. Smile

--
Konstantin

Re: stab069.6 kernel not stable [message #40087 is a reply to message #40086] Thu, 15 July 2010 18:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is a production server in a datacenter that I don't have access to.

kdump is the only debug measure I am willing to consider at this point. I looked into network console and decided against it on a remote production server in a datacenter I don't have access to.

[Updated on: Thu, 15 July 2010 20:29]

Re: stab069.6 kernel not stable [message #40089 is a reply to message #40087] Thu, 15 July 2010 18:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:
Once again, I am no kernel expert but memory leak in a kernel = bad based on what I know! Once again call me crazy but I generally don't want production servers running "stable" kernels that are probably not so stable when they have memory leaks.

i'll tell you a small secret: the same bug exists in RedHat kernel which is a base for our kernel. Smile And it was there long ago. Did you notice it? i believe - no, just because it happens really very rare.
Seriously, EVERY software has errors. And i'm afraid this is not going to change.
BTW, this is a forum for those who are ASKING for help.

--
Konstantin

Re: stab069.6 kernel not stable [message #40090 is a reply to message #40089] Thu, 15 July 2010 19:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, I understand OpenVZ is an open source project.

So which of the more current kernels are recommended as the most stable?

[Updated on: Thu, 15 July 2010 22:25]

Re: stab069.6 kernel not stable [message #40099 is a reply to message #40090] Fri, 16 July 2010 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mustardman wrote on Thu, 15 July 2010 23:00
Yes, I understand OpenVZ is an open source project.

So which of the more current kernels are recommended as the most stable?

Please, trust me - the most stable kernel at the moment is 2.6.18-194.3.1.el5.028stab069.6 and we honestly do not know any critical issue on it. If your node crashes often - this is a serious bug that we unfortunately missed (and so do other users - you first complain on such an issue), or may be some part of your hardware got broken. But we need logs in order to make more precise diagnose.

i understand that your server is in production, so you cannot just stop it and perform, say, memory testing, but could you check /var/log/mcelog for some hardware logs? Or output of "dmidecode" - somewhere at the end, section "Log events".

Thank you.

--
Konstantin

Re: stab069.6 kernel not stable [message #40103 is a reply to message #40099] Fri, 16 July 2010 16:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would need more time to determine if it is the kernel as it only seems to happen about once a week and I haven't set up kdump yet. It could be the hardware but I doubt it.

If there is good evidence of lots of other people using this kernel under moderate to heavy usage then it could be something else. Since the kernel has only been out for a month or two I doubt there is much evidence either way.

[Updated on: Fri, 16 July 2010 16:45]

Re: stab069.6 kernel not stable [message #40250 is a reply to message #40081] Thu, 05 August 2010 18:52 Go to previous message
Just to update this. It has been almost 30days now and no crash/reboot. So why it initially happened is still a complete mystery. I see a newer kernel has now been release but I'm not about to upgrade until it has been out in the wild for a few months with no major issues bubbling up.
Previous Topic: Bridgin thru vethxxx.0
Next Topic: Is it possible?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Oct 18 05:50:09 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.06977 seconds