OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Could I run "seamless" VBox in Desktop Linux VE?
Could I run "seamless" VBox in Desktop Linux VE? [message #39862] Fri, 11 June 2010 11:32
shadowdemon is currently offline  shadowdemon
I'm just wondering if this is theoretically possible:

On a 2.6.32 Linux Server with OpenVZ and VirtualBox (KVM disabled) in the kernel, have a X11 Desktop Linux VE (like Linux Mint 9, Ubuntu 10.04-based) which itself runs a Windows XP VM in VirtualBox, using "seamless desktop" to integrate the VM apps with X11 desktop?

What's my rational for this setup? Well, firstly, I only make local backups of my PC (because it would take for ever to transfer it over the wire), meaning that if my house burnt down, all would be gone. Secondly, I've wanted for years to switch to Linux for my desktop PC, but there is always some Windows apps that I would miss. Thirdly, I've already virtualized my PC with VirtualBox anyway (except the games). Fourthly, I'm renting an Internet server with plenty of resources, which has a real reliable backup system, and I was planning on moving to OpenVZ, once the 2.6.32 kernel is reliable.

Once I have both OpenVZ and VirtualBox in my Server kernel (I understand from the forum posts that it is possible), I could create a X11 VE (only for remote access over SSH; no local display), move my VB PC to the X11 VE, and run it there in seamless mode.

I would have then achieved the following:

1) Moved from Windows to x11 Linux
2) Guarantied the safety of my data.
3) Be able to access my PC from everywhere safely over SSH.

What does that sound like?
Previous Topic: Gentoo: kernel 2.6.32, Received signal: 9 in /usr/sbin/vzquota
Next Topic: Help in DHCP Server
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Sep 28 21:33:49 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04021 seconds