OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Can I install OpenVZ *without Console access* ? (Can I change the kernel myself (to OpenVZ) over SSH?)
Can I install OpenVZ *without Console access* ? [message #39755] Fri, 28 May 2010 18:02 Go to next message
shadowdemon is currently offline  shadowdemon
I'm just wondering if I can actually install OpenVZ on my rented server (dedicated hardware node), since they don't give me access to the Console; "they" install the distribution (of my choice) for me, and they would probably charge me a lot to build and install an "OpenVZ" kernel (as long as OpenVZ hasn't made it into the mainline).

The short version is: Can I change the kernel myself over SSH?
Re: Can I install OpenVZ *without Console access* ? [message #39759 is a reply to message #39755] Sat, 29 May 2010 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shadowdemon is currently offline  shadowdemon
OK, looks like it should work. It might just be an issue if the change fails and the machine won't boot anymore.
Re: Can I install OpenVZ *without Console access* ? [message #39963 is a reply to message #39759] Thu, 01 July 2010 00:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
januszzz is currently offline  januszzz
Its possible of course, this can go like any other linux install in chroot or on separate partition, or you can only change your kernel.

I would suggest booting the kernel on the same machine you rent (check dmidecode output) or if you can't - test your kernel config and system config carefully. Mistake may need some "recovery console access" by means of php etc.
Re: Can I install OpenVZ *without Console access* ? [message #39969 is a reply to message #39755] Thu, 01 July 2010 05:19 Go to previous message
mperkel is currently offline  mperkel
I've done it over ssh. Rarely do I ever visit the data center. It is definitely doable.

Previous Topic: syslog not working in VPS
Next Topic: SNMP monitoring of OpenVZ clusters
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Aug 19 06:25:54 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02949 seconds