OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » chkpnt works, resume fails, same hardware - big ram image, ideas? (using checkpointing, I can't resume images with large (ram rss) size - looking for ideas on debug...)
chkpnt works, resume fails, same hardware - big ram image, ideas? [message #39345] Wed, 07 April 2010 17:59 Go to next message
minektur is currently offline  minektur
Ok - I have the following setup:

Kernel: 2.6.18-164.11.1.el5.028stab068.5
vzctl: version 3.0.23
template: centos-5-x86_64 (but issue with debian-5.0-x86_64 too)
(filesystem is GFS cluster)

I checkpoint and try to resume on the same machine 5 seconds later. The checkpoint appears to work, the restore fails.

It has taken me a while to narrow down, but I now have a simple test case that causes this error: If I have a single process with larger than about 2G of RSS, I can checkpoint just fine but when I resume, I get errors like:
-------------------------------------------------
% vzctl restore 1050051
Restoring container ...
Starting container ...
Container is mounted
undump...
Adding IP address(es): XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
Setting CPU limit: 400
Setting CPU units: 6400
Configure meminfo: 2097152
Error: undump failed: Bad file descriptor
Restoring failed:
Error: do_rst_mm 7676056
Error: rst_mm: -1073737728
Error: make_baby: -1073737728
Error: rst_clone_children
Error: make_baby: -1073737728
Error: rst_clone_children
Container start failed
Stopping container ...
Container was stopped
Container is unmounted
---------------------------------------------

I haven't figured out the exact rss size that will cause this but the threshold is somewhere around 2GB.

Note that I can have 8 gig resident and successfully checkpoint/resume as long as no single process has an RSS of more than about 2G. (It does take quite a while to write the checkpoint file.... Any easy way to gzip on the fly during write and uncompress on the fly on the read for restore? )

The following C program can cause the issue...
------------------------------------------------
#include <stdlib.h>
main()
{

char* m = malloc(8000000000);
long i = 0;

/* keep entire block resident if possible*/
while (1){
for (i=0; i< 8000000000; i++)
m[i]=1;
}

}
------------------------------------------------

Though I originally tripped over this issue with much more complicated usage.

This is supposed to work right? Is there something obvious I'm missing? Does anyone have any pointers on how to debug this?

As far as I can tell reading vzctl and kernel sources there isn't a good way for EBADFD to be getting returned from the ioctl to /proc/cpt - perhaps it's getting sent back up though an 'effor-fd' ioctl setting but I've not had a chance to dig that far yet.

I also note that malformed programs can indefinitely delay checkpointing from working... - do a vfork and then don't exec (infinite loop...) - but that's a different fish to fry... :)

Re: chkpnt works, resume fails, same hardware - big ram image, ideas? [message #39361 is a reply to message #39345] Fri, 09 April 2010 19:20 Go to previous message
minektur is currently offline  minektur
btw, I opened a bug in openvz bugzilla, and any new details will go there.

http://bugzilla.openvz.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1488

Fred
Previous Topic: Segmentation Fault with Novell eDirectory
Next Topic: server restarting after syslod restart
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Oct 06 10:15:52 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04287 seconds