OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Making a manual IP configuration 'stick' (Doing this the right way)
Making a manual IP configuration 'stick' [message #39174] Mon, 22 March 2010 22:28 Go to next message
PhYrE is currently offline  PhYrE
I have the following config:
Host:
eth0: EXT.EXT.EXT.5/24
eth0:1 10.5.5.5/8
Container:
venet0 127.0.0.1
venet0:0 EXT.EXT.EXT.6/24
venet0:1 10.6.6.6/8

This worked great for all purposes except that pinging something on the 10.x network failed unless the host being pinged was also on the EXT network, as the source IP was going out as EXT.EXT.EXT.6 and hence the remote system wasn't able to return the packet.

This was solved by running the following WITHIN the container
ip route add to 10.0.0.0/8 src 10.6.6.6 dev venet0

How can I:
a) configure this so that it does it when it configures the IP automatically or chooses the 'best' interface.
b) configure it to execute this line after it brings up the interface.
c) make this setting stick, beyond putting it into rc.local so that it is easily configured, replicated, and not overwritten by operating system changes.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

-M
Re: Making a manual IP configuration 'stick' [message #39175 is a reply to message #39174] Mon, 22 March 2010 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kir is currently offline  kir

This is a subject of bug #1088, which is not yet fixed Sad

http://bugzilla.openvz.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1088

You know the workaround (rc.local or something similar) and the solution is to fix the bug...

Kir Kolyshkin
http://static.openvz.org/userbars/openvz-developer.png
Re: Making a manual IP configuration 'stick' [message #39178 is a reply to message #39175] Tue, 23 March 2010 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PhYrE is currently offline  PhYrE
In reading the bug, I'm not sure that it is.

The bug asks for the ability to set netmasks for IP addresses and resolves the bug my using IP masquerading.

My fix changes the source IP address in the IP header so that it need not be the default primary IP but could also be a secondary IP address.

Maybe it does inadvertantly do it (as it could scope the IP range) but I just want to make sure this is in fact the same bug before I drop the issue.

My fix:
ip route add to 10.0.0.0/8 src 10.6.6.6 dev venet0

Their Bug Fix:
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s 10.0.15.64/27 -o eth1 -j SNAT --to

I guess just two ways to fix the same problem. I'll watch the bug and see where it goes.

-M
Re: Making a manual IP configuration 'stick' [message #39179 is a reply to message #39178] Tue, 23 March 2010 14:51 Go to previous message
kir is currently offline  kir

Please forget about the comment about NAT. The thing is, vzctl sets default netmask of /24 for every address added. This is wrong and leads to incorrect routing. The only fix is to have correct netmasks, with these in place routes will also be correct.

Kir Kolyshkin
http://static.openvz.org/userbars/openvz-developer.png
Previous Topic: IP-Tables Problem on vz-machine bei stateful inspection
Next Topic: Template to acess remote desktop
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jul 11 15:27:53 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02336 seconds