OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » How to sync "production" host into "test" host? (That is, all the VM + config, if they are far apart.)
How to sync "production" host into "test" host? [message #39057] Wed, 10 March 2010 12:10 Go to next message
shadowdemon is currently offline  shadowdemon
Hi there! I've been checking on OpenVZ for a while, waiting for it to become compatible with the newest Ubuntu, and it seems this might happen soon with Ubuntu 10.4 LTS. I haven't tried OpenVZ yet, as I see no point until it runs on my target Linux distribution. I have been using VirtualBox until now.

My setup is as follow:
1) One Productive server on the Internet, by a "provider".
2) One Test Server at home (same hardware).
3) A fast-download, but slow-upload, Internet connection.

My "development cycle" is as follow:
1) Make or use a backup of the production.
2) Download the backup from the prod to the test.
3) Try my new changes on the test,
reloading the backup until the "update scripts" works.
4) Make new backup from prod.
5) Perform changes on prod.
6) Test changes on prod.

What is the best way to setup the Containers and KVM VMs, so that this runs smoothly and keep the prod downtime to a minimum ? (by keeping the transfer duration to a minimum)
Re: How to sync "production" host into "test" host? [message #39124 is a reply to message #39057] Wed, 17 March 2010 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No answer? Rolling Eyes That probably mean that either syncing VMs on several servers is easy and documented, or it's impossible.

I would be grateful if someone at least told me which is the case...
Re: How to sync "production" host into "test" host? [message #39148 is a reply to message #39124] Fri, 19 March 2010 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maratrus is currently offline  maratrus
Hello,

I'm not sure that this is what you are talking about but look at the following pages
http://wiki.openvz.org/Checkpointing_and_live_migration
http://wiki.openvz.org/Vzdump
Re: How to sync "production" host into "test" host? [message #39149 is a reply to message #39148] Fri, 19 March 2010 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you! That nicely covers my question. Smile
Re: How to sync "production" host into "test" host? [message #39322 is a reply to message #39057] Mon, 05 April 2010 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
williamsmith61 is currently offline  williamsmith61
No answer? Rolling Eyes That probably mean that either syncing VMs on several servers is easy and documented, or it's impossible.

william smith
Re: How to sync "production" host into "test" host? [message #39348 is a reply to message #39322] Wed, 07 April 2010 22:17 Go to previous message
nuno is currently offline  nuno
williamsmith61 wrote on Mon, 05 April 2010 06:45

It's very, very easy to do. And you have 1001^n choices to do it.

I really like to avoid online migration, so my first choice would be some basic rsync scripts.

Previous Topic: Container start failure when ipv6 is disabled
Next Topic: No answer to ARP
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Sep 28 23:26:11 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.06639 seconds