OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Host and VE's all have external IP addresses.
Host and VE's all have external IP addresses. [message #39118] Wed, 17 March 2010 05:35 Go to previous message
RimBlock is currently offline  RimBlock
Hi,

I am looking to setup a CentOS 5.4 X86_64 / OpenVZ HN (Hardware Node) running one or more VE's.

For this example the VE is running CentOS 5.4 i386

I would like the VE's to have full ability over their network traffic (i.e. firewall settings, DHCP .....). The HN and VE's are on the same subnet.

After lots of reading I finally came to the Veth howto and tried it last night with limited success.

I have;

HN: eth0 (HN IP address), veth101.0
HN: routing;
default dev eth0
[VE Ip address] via [HN ip address]

VE: eth0 (VE IP address)
VE: routing;
[HN IP address] dev eth0
default via [HN IP address]

Both the VE and the HN have the iptables service stopped.

I can ssh from HN to VE.
I can ssh from the VE to the HN.
I can browse the internet from HN.
I can resolve DNS from the HN.
I cannot resolve DNS from the VE.
I cannot ping anything by ip address apart from the HN.

The guide I followed was 'Using a directly routed IPv4 with virtual Ethernet device' here.

Should I be able to do what I want with this setup and if so what is wrong, or if not should I be looking at the 'VEs and HNs in same subnets setup' here.

My concern with the second setup is this line 'Note that the ifcfg-ethN files on the host do not contain any IP information anymore.'. Does this mean that the ifcfg-bzbrN file would have the host ip address and the VE's ifcfg-ethN config files would have the VE's IP addresses.

Also the guide mentions the example setup as having two NIC's. Am I right in assuming you do not need two NIC for this technique to work.

Thanks for any advice / direction.

RB

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: [Resolved] Destroyed VE but still /proc/bc/$VEID
Next Topic: OpenVZ in ATOM with solusvm
Goto Forum: