OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Difference between (h)top on HN and VE
Difference between (h)top on HN and VE [message #39076] Fri, 12 March 2010 15:25 Go to next message
TheStig is currently offline  TheStig
I discovered that benchmarking my dynamical website using apachebench, vmstat, top and htop on my VE all show that my cpu's are pretty busy. The combined CpuLoad at the same time on my HN on the other hand ist seldomly above 35%. The difference is "visible" the most using htop. Whereas (h)top on the VE shows about 70% user load and 30%idle on the VE those values are reversed on the HN.

I use the 2.6.26-2-openvz-amd64 kernel, so afaik the cpuunits and cpulimit values don't matter (but they are set anyway to guarantee the VE maximum power - 10000 for the VE and 1000 for VE0 and cpulimit of 750 for the VE). I'm using a i7 Core with HT enabled, so I guess that could have something to do with it as a load of above 40 % in absence of a slow I/O subsystem should mean, that all four physical CPU's are calculating "as fast as possible".

So my question is, if it's normal for those tools to present completely different values for the VE and HN on systems with Hyperthreading enabled CPUs.

[Updated on: Fri, 12 March 2010 15:35]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Difference between (h)top on HN and VE [message #39080 is a reply to message #39076] Fri, 12 March 2010 18:14 Go to previous message
maratrus is currently offline  maratrus
Hi,

Quote:

So my question is, if it's normal for those tools to present completely different values for the VE and HN on systems with Hyperthreading enabled CPUs.

I think it's possible. /proc/stat is information source file for utilities like top. The first lines constitute information about CPU load. This sort of information is virtualized i.e. for example "the time units processes was executed in user mode" means that these units were accounted in one VE's statistics but were not accounted in another VE's statistics.
Previous Topic: Issue with UCB limits
Next Topic: How can I get a usb port to reconnect?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Aug 13 17:13:32 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02895 seconds