OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Total but temporary loss of network
Total but temporary loss of network [message #38578] Mon, 04 January 2010 18:47 Go to next message
fruvous is currently offline  fruvous
Hi,

I am new to OpenVZ and am having a real problem which I have been unable to solve and so have a couple of longtimers!

The first thing to say is the problem is random but it happens a lot more than it not happening.

What happens is I loose all networking to the server (the host IP and any continer IPS) for between 5 and 10 mins. When the connection returns everything else is fine and there is nothing that I can find in any logs to give a clue as to what is happening.

This network loss only happens at certain times and I think it happens when a container starts up. Once the container is up and running rebooting that container causes no problem.

When I reboot the main server and ping it from elsewhere the server comes online for about 6 pings and then network dies for between 5 and 10 mins and then continues like nothing has happened. However if all the container are set to not autoboot then the server starts normally.

As far as versions etc go I have tried this and get the same results with centos 5.4 and 5.3 both in 64 and 32 bit and the current version of the openvz kernel and the previous version.

I did think for a while it was something to do with redhat-add_ip.sh as commenting line 221 out (add_ip) things start to reboot normally - but I think that was just a fluke.

Finally this is happening on a clean install there is hardly any server load and nothing is running inside any of the containers.

Any help would be gratefully received as I have looked everywhere I can think of.

Thank you
Ben
Re: Total but temporary loss of network [message #38590 is a reply to message #38578] Wed, 06 January 2010 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
defiancenl is currently offline  defiancenl
might sounds real stupid , but have you checked cabling and switching faults?
Re: Total but temporary loss of network [message #38592 is a reply to message #38590] Wed, 06 January 2010 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Thanks for the reply - Yes it is so odd I cant cant fugure it out. Without openvz on the server "ie clean centos install" there are no problem with network at all. Even after openVZ is installed there are no problems until randomly one container which is built in the same was at the other test ones just start to mess things up. For a while I thought it was IP realted (one IP not configured somewhere or doing something silly with the switch) but I have ruled this out as on different occations different IPs cause the problem...

Cheers
Ben
Re: Total but temporary loss of network [message #38593 is a reply to message #38592] Wed, 06 January 2010 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,
can you post the related network configs , including the netmasks?

It could be you messed up there somewhere....(nofi)

Say for instance you set a container up with that an ip that is netblocks gateway ip, this would render the connection useless on container boot, since the gateway is now the VZ self....(hopes this makes sense), and then the hwnode will lose connectivity.
But this would basicly make the entire netblock go down(not always tho)

Are you able to log in physicly on the server with a console?( are you near the server) when it goes down?

can you post a netstat -n and a route -n on the time it isnt reachable?

Are there any firewalls in place? and if so , what is the setup?
Is it a iptables firewall ? ifso plz post a iptables -L

And again did you CHECK the cabling and switch ?, saying that it doesnt happen when Openvz is not installed is not enough.

Measure the cable with a cable tester and plug the server on another port to be sure its not the switch.(or even replace the switch to be sure)

[Updated on: Wed, 06 January 2010 13:58]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Total but temporary loss of network [message #38594 is a reply to message #38593] Wed, 06 January 2010 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the reply,

Just 5 mins ago I started to rebuild the server again.... Once its back and installed I will post what I can. Unfortuantly I cant access the server while the network is down - if I am alread logged in and it does down when I create a container the connection hangs rather than being dropped and after the 10 mins bingo its all back and stays stable.

Cheers
Ben
Re: Total but temporary loss of network [message #38597 is a reply to message #38594] Wed, 06 January 2010 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can you then plz answer all the questions i made before?

Its really hard and anoying to help someone, if he reads over questions , and does not answer them.
Re: Total but temporary loss of network [message #38625 is a reply to message #38594] Fri, 08 January 2010 11:03 Go to previous message
nuno is currently offline  nuno
fruvous wrote on Wed, 06 January 2010 14:05
Thanks for the reply,

Just 5 mins ago I started to rebuild the server again.... Once its back and installed I will post what I can. Unfortuantly I cant access the server while the network is down - if I am alread logged in and it does down when I create a container the connection hangs rather than being dropped and after the 10 mins bingo its all back and stays stable.

Cheers
Ben

You're using NETIF (bridged networking), correct?

If so, stop using MAC addresses like 00:00:00:00:00:01
Just use a random MAC generator; it'll return a proper MAC. If you insist in making one up, never start with 00:00:00:xx:xx:xx, use 08:00:24:xx:xx:xx for instance.

(This problem is related to the bridge interface in Linux, the MAC of the bridge changes to the "lowest numerical" MAC in every bridge update. If you start with 08 you should be fine.)

Regards,
Previous Topic: OpenVZ on multiple hard drives
Next Topic: TCP hangs up
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 16 21:41:36 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03589 seconds