OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » NFSv4 client/server in VE - any updates in past few months?  () 1 Vote
NFSv4 client/server in VE - any updates in past few months? [message #38549] Wed, 30 December 2009 05:05 Go to next message
erikl is currently offline  erikl
I've read the wiki pages and I've searched the forums and wasn't able to find anything more recent than January 2009 regarding NFSv4 support.

I tried installing nfs-kernel-server in a Debian VE and it appears to not function. There doesn't appear to be any other Debian package which implements a NFSv4 server. unfs3 and nfs-user-server do not.

Our requirements are kerberized NFS running on Debian, where both the clients and servers must be Debian. Unfortunately, I was unable to create any such working configuration in OpenVZ thus far.

Is there a way to at least have NFSv4 client in a VE? Is it possible to have server as well?

I'd be happy to test, if there is something to test.

Thanks

Re: NFSv4 client/server in VE - any updates in past few months? [message #38579 is a reply to message #38549] Mon, 04 January 2010 19:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
laotse is currently offline  laotse
There is a project called Ganesha, which is a User-Space NFSv4 server. I installed it inside a Debian Lenny VZ and it basically works, i.e. I did not have any time yet to verify, whether it actually does kerberized NFSv4 and how it reacts with real load. It's still on my evaluation agenda and as yet it seems worth giving it a try.

Clients are a different story of course.

Regards,
- lars.
Re: NFSv4 client/server in VE - any updates in past few months? [message #38651 is a reply to message #38579] Mon, 11 January 2010 21:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

There is a project called Ganesha, which is a User-Space NFSv4 server. I installed it inside a Debian Lenny VZ and it basically works, i.e. I did not have any time yet to verify, whether it actually does kerberized NFSv4 and how it reacts with real load. It's still on my evaluation agenda and as yet it seems worth giving it a try.

Thanks! I tried installing this inside a container and despite the terrible docs managed to configure it in what I think is a correct manner to do NFS4+Kerberos, but I'm getting errors on the client when doing mount:
"WARNING: Failed to create krb5 context for user with uid 0 with any credentials cache for server (mynfsservername)"
and on the server in the Ganesha debug log:
"Could not authenticate request... rejecting with AUTH_STAT=AUTH_REJECTEDCRED"

Quote:

Clients are a different story of course.

Server will be good enough for now. Ran into issues with nfs-kernel-server on a physical machine too, it's a real pain.
Re: NFSv4 client/server in VE - any updates in past few months? [message #38652 is a reply to message #38651] Mon, 11 January 2010 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
laotse is currently offline  laotse
Well, this seems to be the backside of Ganesha. There's no users' mailing list and the devel mailing list apparently did not see a single post in some years. Still there is active development, at least.

My focus is currently on a FAX solution, a tiny CRM system, LDAP and Kerberos failover and if Squeeze hopefully still takes its time then, I'll be back to Ganesha. Unless the performance issues of unfs3 will push it up the agenda earlier. Sad

So, I'd suggest to ask 'Philippe DENIEL', he's probably not that busy with user requests for now. And ... I'd love if you could report your experiences here.

Regards,
- lars.
Re: NFSv4 client/server in VE - any updates in past few months? [message #38653 is a reply to message #38652] Tue, 12 January 2010 03:06 Go to previous message
Quote:

Well, this seems to be the backside of Ganesha. There's no users' mailing list and the devel mailing list apparently did not see a single post in some years. Still there is active development, at least.

My focus is currently on a FAX solution, a tiny CRM system, LDAP and Kerberos failover and if Squeeze hopefully still takes its time then, I'll be back to Ganesha. Unless the performance issues of unfs3 will push it up the agenda earlier. Sad

So, I'd suggest to ask 'Philippe DENIEL', he's probably not that busy with user requests for now. And ... I'd love if you could report your experiences here.

Indeed...it's in a pretty scary state right now, but I guess it's very decent for a pre-v1.0 release, especially considering that there are no alternatives.

So, several hours of painful debugging later, I got it to mount after compiling it from source. The Debian packages were completely broken - the init scripts don't work, the docs are wrong, and based on the debug logs and tcpdump output, I suspected that the binaries weren't complied with everything required to make NFSv4+Kerberos work.

Though I was able to mount the FS, now the id mappings aren't working, so I can't do anything after mounting. Server has nothing helpful, whereas client has:
"rpc.idmapd[1778]: nss_getpwnam: name 'myusername@localdomain' does not map into domain 'ourdomainname'"

Everything shows up as nobody/nogroup. It also hangs for a while when doing ls - until those messages appear in the log. There is one message for each unresolved user in the directory tree (I have three directories, owned by three different users, I get three different messages in the log, similar to the above message - so this is like client attempting to resolve the owner names on the server into ids, except this "localdomain" thing comes from somewhere).

Ganesha claims to use libnfsidmap, but the source code I've downloaded has nothing to that effect and trying to use the config option as documented at http://nfs-ganesha.sourceforge.net/index.php?page=nfsidmap results in an unparseable config file with ganesha refusing to start. It doesn't even ./configure with the documented --enable-nfsidmap option - says unrecognized option.
Previous Topic: Looking for $ paid $ help
Next Topic: Kernel Panic during normal usage
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Aug 15 06:52:27 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02837 seconds