OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Should I enable or disable HyperThreading? (Advantages, disadvantages)  () 1 Vote
Re: Should I enable or disable HyperThreading? [message #38523 is a reply to message #38511] Tue, 29 December 2009 07:14 Go to previous message
gordan is currently offline  gordan
I cannot see HT harming OpenVZ performance (bugs notwithstanding). In general, HT will improve performance by:

1) Saving you half of the context switches (which is probably the most expensive operation you can do on a CPU)

2) Reduce the overall memory latency when things aren't in the caches. This is particularly helpful when you have lots of processes running on a machine. The latency to memory is typically around 50-60ns while latency to caches is typically 300-1000ps. If you have twice as many processes scheduled to run, the chances of the memory that at least one of them requires being correctly pre-fetched in the caches increases, so while one of them is waiting for the memory fetch the other can execute and get rotated back out.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: centos4 didn't find ovzkernel-devel, maybe give a try for el5 kernel flavor?
Next Topic: Copy To Container From Host
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Sep 28 09:23:11 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03976 seconds