OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Should I enable or disable HyperThreading? (Advantages, disadvantages)  () 1 Vote
Should I enable or disable HyperThreading? [message #38461] Mon, 21 December 2009 21:51 Go to previous message
mustardman is currently offline  mustardman
As it is, using OpenVZ on any recent hardware means I have Hyperthreading and multicore CPU capability. I can disable Hyperthreading in the BIOS or in Grub.conf.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of using Hyperthreading?

My situation is fairly typical. I will be splitting up the server into several VPS's. Each one will get access to a portion of CPU cycles on one core.

If I enable Hyperthreading I get twice the number of cores showing up in OpenVZ but it's not actual number of cores so I have to take that into account and assign more clock cycles for the same level of performance.

In my mind it would be easier to just disable Hyperthreading which simplifies things but I want to get the maximum usage out of my hardware investment.

Searching around the internet I get a mixed bag of opinions on Hyperthreading. Some disable it and some swear by it. I was wondering what sorts of opinions people have around here as it applies to OpenVZ containers.

I will be using this server for Asterisk (VoIP) btw.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: centos4 didn't find ovzkernel-devel, maybe give a try for el5 kernel flavor?
Next Topic: Copy To Container From Host
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Aug 18 12:30:46 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02843 seconds