OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Enterprise backup solution
Enterprise backup solution [message #38340] Tue, 08 December 2009 01:53 Go to next message
jclarke is currently offline  jclarke
Does anyone have a recommendation for a solution to back up a large number of openvz servers?

Right now we are using CDP from r1soft which has worked fine in the past but with recent updates we have been seeing random kernel panics so we are looking for a new solution.
Re: Enterprise backup solution [message #38342 is a reply to message #38340] Tue, 08 December 2009 22:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tomp is currently offline  tomp
I use rsync and LVM to create snapshots, and then synchronise the changes off to a central backup server.

I have created a script that allows restores from backup onto any of the VZ servers we have.
Re: Enterprise backup solution [message #40323 is a reply to message #38342] Wed, 11 August 2010 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
neuroticimbecile is currently offline  neuroticimbecile
Hi,

I'm curious about your setup, I hope you won't mind a couple of questions:

Do you backup the whole filesystem, or just /vz ?

Have you ever been hit with this:
http://www.nikhef.nl/~dennisvd/lvmcrap.html ?

Thanks, BTW, I'm about to whip up a similar backup system, that's why I'm curious.
Re: Enterprise backup solution [message #40341 is a reply to message #40323] Thu, 12 August 2010 17:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tomp is currently offline  tomp
Hi,

I wasn't aware of that problem, and can safely say in 3 years of using this system have never encountered it.

However, we don't have particularly busy servers. Although we do have a mix of MySQL and Apache servers.

Perhaps if you dont max out your servers then you'll be fine.
Re: Enterprise backup solution [message #40342 is a reply to message #40341] Fri, 13 August 2010 01:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
greenflying2010 is currently offline  greenflying2010
hi,
thanks for your reply.
I'm sorry didn't describe clearly. I just only installed a software on the container letting it run as a client not a server and there is no sql no apache. So i also think this problem is very strange.
Is this problem caused by the configuration of sysctl.conf or vz.conf?? The original set in the vz.conf is NEIGHBOUR_DEVS=detect.
I searched on the internet and someone said it should be NEIGHBOUR_DEVS=all.
Also someone said i should configure vz.conf to user kernel module.
How do you think? thank you!
Re: Enterprise backup solution [message #40371 is a reply to message #38340] Sat, 14 August 2010 23:45 Go to previous message
TheStig is currently offline  TheStig
have you thought about using drbd? it's not a real a backup solution, but a distributed (blockdevice-)filesystem. so you can use it on top of a lvm or lvm on it and for example only create diskload on the backup server by snapshotting your VE's. setup is really easy and as of 2.6.33 it even got merged into the kernel (of course there is no openvz-patch for that kernel).
Previous Topic: iptables rule not working on local network
Next Topic: need help getting /dev/fuse and /dev/net/tun to play nice together in container
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 15 14:46:35 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02383 seconds