OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Ressource Limits like in Linux VServer
Ressource Limits like in Linux VServer [message #38117] Thu, 19 November 2009 11:41 Go to next message
Dorowan is currently offline  Dorowan
Hello!
I am about to migrate my Linux Vservers to OpenVZ. The VServers are dedicated to certain services (Webserver, Intranet, Applicationserver, DB Server, Mailserver etc.) I just want to keep this services seperated.

One thing I had problems with are ressource limits. I am just an ambitioned home user with some very basic knowledge about memory allocation and the like. This is why I do not really understand all of the wiki articles.

In Vserver I just did not care about ressource limits and never had any problems. Maybe one Vserver became slow but none crashed because of memory allocation problems. It all seemed to behave like I had all services on one system. In OpenVZ I ran into memory allocation problems.

Is there a way to set ressource limits in a way that the different VMs and their processes share memory like the processes were on one system. I do not know how to better describe this. I do not need to guarantee ressources to VMs.

Maybe it would be something like setting the limits very, very high. Would this work?

Many thanks in advance,
Carsten

P.S.: Staying with Linux Vserver is no real option for me because of the better support of virtual networking in OpenVZ.
Re: Ressource Limits like in Linux VServer [message #38119 is a reply to message #38117] Thu, 19 November 2009 16:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kir is currently offline  kir

Basically, you can use something like vzsplit N to generate an initial configuration for your containers. Then keep checking for UBC failures (see http://wiki.openvz.org/Resource_shortage) and increase the appropriate limits.

Kir Kolyshkin
http://static.openvz.org/userbars/openvz-developer.png
Re: Ressource Limits like in Linux VServer [message #39211 is a reply to message #38117] Mon, 29 March 2010 10:43 Go to previous message
chensel is currently offline  chensel
I found that the topic has been discussed before:

running with no limits?

Solution is like this:

# vzsplit -n 1 -f max-limits

then for each container NNN:
# vzctl set NNN --applyconfig max-limits --save
Previous Topic: Removing unnecessary packages in HN
Next Topic: Slackware Templates
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Sep 16 22:40:36 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04880 seconds