OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Kernel 2.6.24 branch and cpulimit
Kernel 2.6.24 branch and cpulimit [message #37911] Sun, 01 November 2009 18:05 Go to next message
pilpelet is currently offline  pilpelet
Hi ,
I need to limit the cpu ustage on some VE's but noticed that --cpulimit dosnt work , i looked arround the forum and noticed a post saying that cpulimit only work on the stable branches .

Isnt there a way to limit it somehow , its a big problem seens 2 VE's takes 100% of the 4 procs and i cant do anything to make sure other VE's gets a fair share , the server load get 50,50,50
and CPU's are 90% most of the time .

Its not possible to downgrade to stable 2.6.18 due to KVM running on the same server wich needs 2.6.20 and up
or earlier version but it need to be in as moudle wich i doubt it exists in openvz 2.6.18 , 20 version are included in maneline kernel so 2.6.18 wont be good for me without too much hacking .

does the developemnt branch 2.6.24 includes support fot at list
CPUUNITS or CPUS="1"

Thanks for any suggestunes ,

Re: Kernel 2.6.24 branch and cpulimit [message #37963 is a reply to message #37911] Fri, 06 November 2009 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maratrus is currently offline  maratrus
Hello Pilpelet,

I would recommend you to tune CPUUNITS properly
to cope with such a harmful situation .
Living without CPULIMITS at all is possible and CPULIMITS are not a crucial part of balancing CPU load.
Please keep in mind that CPUUNITS are not absolute values but relative to each other.
http://download.openvz.org/doc/OpenVZ-Users-Guide.pdf
Re: Kernel 2.6.24 branch and cpulimit [message #37987 is a reply to message #37963] Sat, 07 November 2009 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pilpelet is currently offline  pilpelet
Hi Martus ,
Im femiliar with cpuunits , i was just wondering if both cpuunits & cpus work on kernel 2.6.24 branch seens i know cpulimit doesnt work on the development barches .

Thanks ,

Re: Kernel 2.6.24 branch and cpulimit [message #38070 is a reply to message #37987] Fri, 13 November 2009 14:15 Go to previous message
maratrus is currently offline  maratrus
I'd like to share some thoughts about CPULIMITS.
What purpose do we pursue restricting VEs CPULIMIT? Not allow a particular VE to use a free CPU? So, in case of intensive CPU consumption on the part of VEs, CPUUNITS are the main restriction that balances the system load. In case of low CPU consumption we would be likely restricted by CPULIMITS (if they don't equal to zero) while actually CPU would be idle. Thus, it's not clear what kind of benefit we'll obtain by setting up CPULIMIT parameters. Moreover, the situation may be occur when a particular VE hold some kind of locks (and other VEs wait these locks too) but cannot release them because of the CPULIMIT restriction. But it worth saying that in case of CPULIMITS=0 this situation may occur too (hence, with less probability). So, if somebody wants to set up CPULIMIT parameters it's of course not prohibited but it worth bearing in mind the above arguments.
Previous Topic: KSH doesn't work
Next Topic: [solved] New distro on old OpenVZ kernel
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Jul 19 17:35:24 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02255 seconds