OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Best way to access hardware RAID arrays from inside a VE? Bind mount?
Best way to access hardware RAID arrays from inside a VE? Bind mount? [message #37660] Wed, 07 October 2009 15:20 Go to next message
batfastad is currently offline  batfastad
Hi everyone

I'm planning to consolidate a couple of servers into a new OpenVZ box.

The host will have a 3Ware 9690SA-8i RAID card taken from our current shared files box.
One of the VEs will be running Samba/Netatalk to create shares from a RAID array connected to the host.
What's the best way of doing this from a performance/stability point of view?

1) I was reading through the Bind Mounts (http://wiki.openvz.org/Bind_mounts) article in the wiki. Is that the best way?

2) Are there any "gotchas" I should look out for when using Samba/Netatalk within a VE and frequently accessing storage connected to the host?

3) The 2nd VE will be a Zimbra mail installation and that will also need access to a RAID 1 array connected to the host's RAID card.
Zimbra runs a big MySQL instance and it gets complex to change storage paths within Zimbra.
Can I/should I store a whole VE on the RAID 1 array partition rather than on the internal boot drive?
Or would that cause performance problems?

Hope that all makes sense, thanks in advance
Cheers, B
Re: Best way to access hardware RAID arrays from inside a VE? Bind mount? [message #37664 is a reply to message #37660] Thu, 08 October 2009 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kir is currently offline  kir

Just have that RAID mounted to /vz, that's it. Alternatively, set VE_ROOT/VE_PRIVATE of a particular container to where you RAID is mounted. There is no I/O performance degradation in OpenVZ

Kir Kolyshkin
http://static.openvz.org/userbars/openvz-developer.png
Re: Best way to access hardware RAID arrays from inside a VE? Bind mount? [message #37665 is a reply to message #37664] Thu, 08 October 2009 09:12 Go to previous message
batfastad is currently offline  batfastad
Great news, thanks for the reply.

Just want to get this absolutely straight:
So you mean mount it as /vz on the host using bind mounts, correct?
Mount the array as /vz or /vz/raid?
How does the array appear within the container?

I want one container stored on the internal boot drive but able to share out (Samba) directories from large 2TB RAID 6 array.
Probably best to bind mount this one, correct?

Then for the other container it would be great to have the whole VE system/structure stored on a different RAID array (1TB RAID 1).
For this one I want to change the VE_PRIVATE of that container to the mount point of the array?

Is that right or am I totally confused Very Happy

Cheers, B
Previous Topic: No filesystems with quota detected.
Next Topic: openvz + kvm
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Aug 21 23:19:47 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03231 seconds