OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Beginning with OpenVZ... accessing RAID storage, a good host OS, link aggregation on host
icon5.gif  Beginning with OpenVZ... accessing RAID storage, a good host OS, link aggregation on host [message #37525] Wed, 23 September 2009 14:21 Go to previous message
batfastad is currently offline  batfastad
Hi everyone

I'm looking to virtualise a pair of servers and I think OpenVZ seems to be the slickest way of doing things.
I looked at VMware Server but it seems there are some big I/O penalties and inconsistencies for accessing our RAID card storage.
I'm looking to have 2 containers... one is our intranet/shared files and another will be a Zimbra mail installation.
The guest templates in both cases will be Ubuntu 8.04

Connected to the host machine is a 3Ware 9690SA-8i RAID card and I want the VMs/containers accessing the arrays that this exports. I'm planning a 5x1TB RAID 6 array for the intranet/shared files system, and a 2x1TB RAOD 1 for the Zimbra mail.
I'll also be looking to install a 64bit version of the OS since I'll have 8GB of memory and a quad core Xeon in there.
But initially I'll have to be testing all this on an old machine that is only 32bit.

So here's my "starting out" questions!

1) What host OS should I be looking to start off with?
Just been trying Ubuntu 8.04 but I'm having a few difficulties. Should I persist with Ubuntu or switch to something more "red hat" like CentOS or anything else?
From what I've read I get the impression that Ubuntu isn't one of the "tier 1" OSs supported by OpenVZ... each version needs to be ported to Ubuntu etc.
Latest CentOS or Fedora or persist with Ubuntu 8.04?

2) How/what's the best way of having these RAID arrays appear to the VEs?
Do they just mount and access them as /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdb2 etc and obviously not mounted on the VZ host.

3) Our network switch (Netgear L2 managed GSM7224) supports 802.3ad link aggregation with LACP so I want to bond the 2gbE ports on the motherboard to 2 gbE ports on the switch.
Is it possible to have a mode 4 bonded network interface with OpenVZ bridged networking?
So that all VEs running share the bonded link but continue to have their own IP addresses/hostnames?
And a IP address/hostname for the host?
I can have them all set as static IPs through DHCP (so long as I know the mac address) if that makes things easier.

Any comments/suggestions etc greatly appreciated!

Thanks, B

[Updated on: Thu, 24 September 2009 13:13]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message icon5.gif
Read Message
Previous Topic: Difference between veth and venet
Next Topic: Install with Yum
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Sep 01 06:37:46 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.05997 seconds