OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » looking for opinions for host server hardware setup
looking for opinions for host server hardware setup [message #37469] Tue, 15 September 2009 01:33 Go to next message
zogthegreat is currently offline  zogthegreat
Hi everyone,

I am looking for opinions for host server hardware setup. Here are my system hardware specs:

motherboard: Tyan S2735 w/ 2x's P4 2.6
memory: 6 gig DDR 2100 ECC
HDD: 2 x 40 gig Seagate SATA hard drives
HDD: 4 x 500 gig Seagate IDE hard drives on a 3Ware 7500 RAID controller in a RAID 5 configuration
NIC's: (on-board)
eth0: Intel 82551QM 10/100
eth1: Intel 82546EB Gigabit
eth2: Intel 82546EB Gigabit
OS: CentOS 5.3 (PAE kernel to address greater than 3 gig of ram)

Planned use:

Host OS will be CentOS 5.3 installed on the 2 x 40 gig SATA's a RAID 1, (mirror), configuration. I have an on-board hardware raid controller on the motherboard, (yes, it is a real hardware RAID, not "fakeraid"). Eth0 will be assigned to it with an ip address of 192.168.x.x.

I want to have several guest machines on this. I intend to create a virtual Samba server and mount my 4 x's 500 gig array from my existing Samba server under that. I would like to assign eth1 to this machine with an ip address of 192.168.x.x.

I then want to create guest machines for web, email and ftp servers with a virtual reverse proxy server to mange the whole thing, (web side, not Samba). I would then like to assign eth2 to this "side" with an address range of 10.0.x.x.

Everything will be connected to a Smoothwall Express firewall configured in the following manner:
eth0, (red) ADSL modem
eth1, (green), local area network with ip range of 192.168.x.x
eth2, (orange), DMZ with ip range of 10.0.x.x

So, here are my questions:

1: Should I use the default installer formatting or would I be better off manually creating the partitions?
I was considering the following:

/boot 100 meg
/swap 8 gig (6 gig hardware memory, plus two gig extra)
/ 5 gig
/etc 2 gig
/opt 1 gig
/var 1 gig
/usr 5 gig
/usr/local 2 gig
/tmp 2 gig
/home 19 gig (approx)

2: Is the manner that I want to setup my NIC:s workable, (i.e. the different ip ranges). Can anyone point me in the direction of websites where I can get a better understanding of how to configure the guest machines NIC's, (yes, I am reading the wiki).

Any suggestions or pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks

zog
Re: looking for opinions for host server hardware setup [message #37540 is a reply to message #37469] Thu, 24 September 2009 19:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paparaciz
my tipical installation for HN is:
/boot 100MB
/ all_space-swap
swap

but i don't use HN for anything more except openvz Smile

about ip's:

in some servers I do following:

net.ipv4.conf.eth0.proxy_arp = 1
net.ipv4.conf.eth1.proxy_arp = 1
and then network will see containers ip addresses

(also my firewall(router) has proxy arp'ing on interfaces for LAN, but i don't know if it's a case)
Re: looking for opinions for host server hardware setup [message #37547 is a reply to message #37469] Fri, 25 September 2009 03:42 Go to previous message
mperkel is currently offline  mperkel
I'd do a different hardware configuration. I tend to like Opterons over Intel for servers and I'd get a MB that holds more ram. What you're buying is an odd configuration. You can get quad core CPUs with 8G ram on a $75 MB.

Rather than 4 500G drives in Raid 5 (slow) and an expensive controller I would get 4 1T drives and do Raid 10 which is just as fast using what you call fake raid and faster than Raid 5.

Since 1T drives are under $100 you can save the price of the high dollar controller and run faster and have more storage using Raid 10. I don't think you need Raid 1 for a boot drive. I would just make a small boot partition on the raid 1 array. It would partition each drive as follows:

100m boot
4G swap
4G /
rest of the drive /vz

Previous Topic: Install with Yum
Next Topic: centos-5-minimal.tar.gz not found
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Aug 14 19:26:12 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02760 seconds