OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » vmguarpages != oomguarpages ? (Is this a good idea? When?)
vmguarpages != oomguarpages ? [message #37398] Sun, 06 September 2009 20:29 Go to previous message
divB is currently offline  divB
Hi,

Let us assume a (hypothetical) HN with 1GB RAM and 10 VEs. For the sake of simplicity we do not care about kernel mem, buffers, hardware node...so we can give every hardware node 100 MB. And I want to guarantee each container 100 MB.

If I want to make sure that every container is guaranteed 100 MB of RAM I have to set vmguarpages to 100 MB, haven't I?!

Because let's assume that all memory malloced is actually used we would face a problem and we could not guarantee 100 MB of RAM?!

But on the other hand, oomguarpages tells the guaranteed pages in an out of memory contition or in a different way: The guarantee of actual used pages (i.e. malloced and used).

So I must conclude that I have to always set oomguarpages = vmguarpages in order to ensure each VE is guaranteed 100 MB?

Is this correct or do I get something wrong? Is there a good reason to set oomguarpages to 100 MB and vmguarpages to 120 MB in my hypothetical example?

When hosting providers talk about memory guarantee: Do they mean the guaranteed amount of malloc-able memory (i.e. vmguarpages) or do they mean the guaranteed amount of useable memory (i.e. oomguarpages)?

Regards,
divB

Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: OpenVZ on Slackware64 ver. 13.0
Next Topic: Unable to load kernel module
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Aug 12 16:06:02 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02877 seconds