OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Ubuntu dapper template, or upgrading debian stable to ubuntu
Ubuntu dapper template, or upgrading debian stable to ubuntu [message #3686] Sat, 10 June 2006 18:42 Go to next message
joescmo is currently offline  joescmo
Will there ever be an ubuntu template? Im just wondering, because its like debian but has some better up to date packages. Also, is it possible for a user who has a vps to upgrade debian stable to ubuntu dapper by just changin repositores and a dist-upgrade? Is it reccomended?

[Updated on: Sat, 10 June 2006 18:43]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Ubuntu dapper template, or upgrading debian stable to ubuntu [message #3693 is a reply to message #3686] Sun, 11 June 2006 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vasily Tarasov is currently offline  Vasily Tarasov
Quote:

Will there ever be an ubuntu template? Im just wondering, because its like debian but has some better up to date packages

Well, one of the principles of community is that if some person needs something (template in our case) and there is no such thing at the moment, the person can do this thing and then share with others! Smile

For example recently Scythe has created Slackware template and now you can get it from openvz.org!

Thus concerning your question, "will ever be an ubuntu template": it will, if somebody will create it. May be you? Smile

It isn't very difficult to create template.
Here are some artiles:
http://wiki.openvz.org/Category:Templates

Quote:

... is it possible for a user who has a vps to upgrade debian stable to ubuntu dapper by just changin repositores and a dist-upgrade? Is it reccomended?

It's possible, but I'm afraid can be tricky to get upgraded vps to work due to differences between Debian and Ubutu, about which openvz scripts are not aware...
Re: Ubuntu dapper template, or upgrading debian stable to ubuntu [message #3700 is a reply to message #3693] Sun, 11 June 2006 16:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think ill give it try locally. I just need to find the disk space. I'm just wondering, is demand high for this template?
Re: Ubuntu dapper template, or upgrading debian stable to ubuntu [message #3702 is a reply to message #3700] Sun, 11 June 2006 18:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, i have somewhat of a template. Problem is, no networking for some reason. When I do ifonfig, it lists nothing, not even lo, and thats even after i do /etc/init.d/networking start. Any ideas?
Re: Ubuntu dapper template, or upgrading debian stable to ubuntu [message #3704 is a reply to message #3702] Sun, 11 June 2006 18:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Never mind, fixed that, now just one more problem:
E: Couldn't determine free space in /var/cache/apt/archives/ - statvfs (75 Value too large for defined data type)

When i try to apt-get something.
Re: Ubuntu dapper template, or upgrading debian stable to ubuntu [message #3707 is a reply to message #3686] Sun, 11 June 2006 19:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
devnu11 is currently offline  devnu11

I created a Ubuntu Dapper 6.02 template which seems to be working fine. I haven't tested it as I just finished it a few minutes ago so there is no warranty of any kind! Laughing . I will make it available via website for a few days. I will post a little later when it is up for grabbing. It's about 56 MB.

Just Because You Have One, Doesn't Mean You Have To Be One!
Re: Ubuntu dapper template, or upgrading debian stable to ubuntu [message #3708 is a reply to message #3707] Sun, 11 June 2006 20:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dmbt is currently offline  dmbt
Crap, because i just made one, a thread lower. It seems to work correctly, although others need to test it. I made sure it included nano also. Look at the thread below this one to see it, its ~60 megs.
Re: Ubuntu dapper template, or upgrading debian stable to ubuntu [message #3710 is a reply to message #3686] Mon, 12 June 2006 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
devnu11 is currently offline  devnu11

If anyone is interested I placed the Ubuntu Dapper template at:

http://www.openvz.info

I will leave it there for a week or so, get it while it's hot Surprised

Just Because You Have One, Doesn't Mean You Have To Be One!
Re: Ubuntu dapper template, or upgrading debian stable to ubuntu [message #3744 is a reply to message #3710] Wed, 14 June 2006 02:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
voidmain is currently offline  voidmain
I've tried both the Ubuntu templates and neither one seems to get the network up and running. I have configuration for both venet0 and venet0:0 but when I start the server only venet0 gets started up. The venet0:0, which contains the correct IP address (and I'm assuming is a slave of sorts) doesn't start. Anyone else have this issue and fixed it?
Re: Ubuntu dapper template, or upgrading debian stable to ubuntu [message #3745 is a reply to message #3744] Wed, 14 June 2006 03:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, if you look at /etc/network/interfaces, it should look something like this:
# Auto generated venet0 interfaces
auto venet0 lo
iface venet0 inet static
address 127.0.0.1
netmask 255.255.255.255
broadcast 0.0.0.0
up route add -net 191.255.255.1 netmask 255.255.255.255 dev venet0
up route add default gw 191.255.255.1
iface lo inet loopback

auto venet0:0
iface venet0:0 inet static
address 10.0.0.55
netmask 255.255.255.255
broadcast 0.0.0.0

The ipadd command is supposed to add it, but sometimes it doesn't for some reason. I don't know if thats the templates fault, or something else. If it is the template faults, someone post and ill fix it. For now, just paste something like this in the user vps or make a script that does it:
auto venet0:0
iface venet0:0 inet static
address 10.0.0.55 //this is the ip address your assigning to the VE.
netmask 255.255.255.255
broadcast 0.0.0.0
Re: Ubuntu dapper template, or upgrading debian stable to ubuntu [message #3757 is a reply to message #3745] Wed, 14 June 2006 15:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
voidmain is currently offline  voidmain
I can't find any documentation that tells me the relationship between the files in the cache tar.gz, the files in the private directory and the files in the root directory and how the template works into everything. I also am not able to find much on the metadata either.

What I'm wondering is how does VZ normally determine which files to twiddle when using the vzctl set commands (or during VPS startup) and how is it that the /etc/network/interfaces file plays into this. If someone can point me at docs or examples, I'll probably be able to hook up a fix.

(This can be fixed by editing /etc/hostname) - One other problem is that the hostname isn't being set either. The hostname is correct in /etc/sysconfig/network, but the VPS isn't picking it up correctly. Any ideas on that one?

[Updated on: Wed, 14 June 2006 15:38]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Ubuntu dapper template, or upgrading debian stable to ubuntu [message #3759 is a reply to message #3686] Wed, 14 June 2006 16:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeh, I would like to know also. Its diferent in each distribution. I'm assuming its one of the distribution files in /etc/vz. I think it needs a distribution file named ubuntu or something. Debians should work though. Should I be distributing this file?
Re: Ubuntu dapper template, or upgrading debian stable to ubuntu [message #3760 is a reply to message #3757] Wed, 14 June 2006 16:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vpslinkdotcom is currently offline  vpslinkdotcom
Ubuntu template doesn't require anything tricky except using debootstrap like is mentioned in the forums earlier. I beleive I used the breezy script and just pointed towards the Ubuntu archive instead of Debian. Guys make sure and copy the debian.conf configuration files from /etc/sysconfig/vz-scripts/dists into a ubuntu.conf such that VZ knows how to handle IP functions etc...

If you guys would like I'd be happy to place my ubuntu template on an FTP server over here. I did forget to disable getty's from running, otherwise mine works just fine.
Re: Ubuntu dapper template, or upgrading debian stable to ubuntu [message #3761 is a reply to message #3760] Wed, 14 June 2006 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, the template is working fine that is in the download section. You just have to do debian.conf to ubuntu.conf. That should fix your problems.
Re: Ubuntu dapper template, or upgrading debian stable to ubuntu [message #3762 is a reply to message #3757] Wed, 14 June 2006 16:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just posted how to fix this in http://wiki.openvz.org/Ubuntu_template#How_do_I_create_a_VE_ that_uses_this_template.3F and it describes why this happens.
Re: Ubuntu dapper template, or upgrading debian stable to ubuntu [message #3796 is a reply to message #3760] Fri, 16 June 2006 18:52 Go to previous message
kir is currently offline  kir

Would be great if you'd share it.

Also, there is already some Ubuntu template and a HOWTO available in our wiki: http://wiki.openvz.org/Ubuntu_template

Kir Kolyshkin
http://static.openvz.org/userbars/openvz-developer.png
Previous Topic: *SOLVED* 2.6.16+026test014 compilation Error
Next Topic: *SOLVED* Compile SW in a VPS
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jul 14 08:51:27 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02340 seconds