OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Harddisk size
Harddisk size [message #36489] Tue, 23 June 2009 16:59 Go to next message
Jan_J is currently offline  Jan_J
Hey,
I am new to all this OpenVZ stuff and I am wondering if OpenVz is using any further harddisk space apart from the stuff in /var ? For example does OpenVZ also require tmp space ?

What I want to do is setting up three VPS on my small home server. It is running debian, has an intel atom 1,6 ghz and 2 GB of Ram.

Now I want the server itself to manage the internet connection and the internal network (a WLAN router is connected at eth0 and internet is available on eth1). As well as some storage to be used as data pool. (1,5 TB)

The first VPS should be a personal server, with an jabber server, some rsync backup script, some mail server. It runs on an secure partition with an high security level. This is the part where all my virtual data is going to that is why I want it to be save and stable.

Second VPS is the home server, it is handling several functions for my flat, like power saving, an music player to control music, and private webserver to upload my private home page and some share space to exchange data with others who might visit me.

And the third VPS is the testing server, that is where I try different things where I play around and where I really do not care if I have to set everything up again.

Now it comes to dividing the hard disk. The main server should run debian with just an Firewall (firehol) Openvz and some dns to manage the network. I thought about something like 10 GB of space. With 2 GB tmp and 4 GB swap, 100 MB /boot and 1 GB / as well as 2 GB usr/ and 1 GB var/ (while using separate partitions for /var/lib/vz/private/* ) 900 MB /home .

Then for the first VPS something like 20 GB so there is enough for my personal data (I am not into music, video or photo business, I do not really need a lot of space for my personal data it is more important to have it all synced around different computers, available anywhere but still secure).

10 GB for the third VPS as it is just for testing but so there is enough room to test various kinds of software and play around with everything.

And also 10 GB for the second VPS as it only handles the scripts, all the data is stored on the rest of the harddisk which is used as share.

So after using 100 GB for all the different operation systems there are around 1,3 GB left for share. The share volume again is divided in other partitions to restrict the user rights on the different shares but after all it is all desired to be managed with the second VPS. It is maybe useful to secure some of the stuff but not everything.

Then a second hard disk is added with around 300 GB or so to backup all the configuration (running as raid for the first 100 GB (except swap, temp and the testing VPS). And maybe to have some raid for the rsync backups I create using the second VPS.

And why I want to use VPS instead of using one server ?
-I want to move my private data away from my other data, I want it encryped and store with high level security.
-I need an stable system and remember, never change a running system (so I need some space to play around with - development server)
-My friends can access my share, connect to my home network, listen to my music, but they should not have access to my passwords and so on. So I want to divide that part. On the one hand the home server and on the other hand my data.

So now my question basically is does OpenVz require any more storage then the directory /var/lib/vz/private/ ? more tmp more swap ?

Regards Jan

Btw: if you have some tips for me on how to manage my situations I would be very pleased Wink

Re: Harddisk size [message #36520 is a reply to message #36489] Mon, 29 June 2009 06:20 Go to previous message
maratrus is currently offline  maratrus
Hello,

there is not a single subdirectory under "/var/lib/vz/" directory called "private". For example there is the "/var/lib/vz/template" directory where templates' data locate. Its size depends on how many templates you're going to use. It wouldn't be a very huge in your case but who knows...
Anyway, this is not a problem at all. When a new container is being created you can use "--private" and "--root" parameters which make vzctl utility reside private and root areas of the container being created where you want them to be.
Previous Topic: Success w/ Kernel 2.6.26 or 2.6.27
Next Topic: VLAN packets not going through
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Sep 04 20:13:18 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.07811 seconds