OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Discussions » OpenVZ on multiple server
OpenVZ on multiple server [message #36423] Wed, 17 June 2009 16:05 Go to next message
LeoB is currently offline  LeoB
Hi to everyone, I'm new in virtualization solution and I'm trying with my first environment.
Now I have 4 server with a dedicated service installed on it. This services are not used continuosly so I think a dedicated server for each service is too much.
With openvz, I can use all 4 server to create and manage virtual machine sharing the hardware capabilities of each server?

I hope you can understand my request and sorry for my terrible English.

Thank you very much for your help!
Re: OpenVZ on multiple server [message #36463 is a reply to message #36423] Sat, 20 June 2009 20:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djechelon is currently offline  djechelon
Sorry, you can't. As I understood, you may want to create one "distributed container" that comes from resource sharing (CPU, memory, etc) of all your 4 hardware nodes.
This is absolutely impossible. Each virtual machine runs on exactly one hardware node.

If you want to optimize the resource usage for your services, which don't run continuously, you must find a software solution or install SETI@Home which drains all the CPU cycles that other processes don't need Wink

Tell me if you need additional help.
Re: OpenVZ on multiple server [message #36465 is a reply to message #36463] Sun, 21 June 2009 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LeoB is currently offline  LeoB
Thank you very muich for your reply!
Could you say me if is there a way to switch on the fly vitual machine from a server to another?
Re: OpenVZ on multiple server [message #36466 is a reply to message #36465] Sun, 21 June 2009 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djechelon is currently offline  djechelon
Not on the fly. The best idea is to store the VM's hard disk(s) on a NAS (or NFS, AFS, Samba, etc) so it can be booted from any server, however you still need to shut it down (or at maximum hibernate it) from the old hardware node and then boot it from the new one. It's not on the fly but it's the best you can get, especially if you are fast Smile

I have no direct experience with creating VMs with OpenVZ (I use VirtualBox for my VMs, and I'm here because I bought an OpenVZ-based VPS)
Re: OpenVZ on multiple server [message #36804 is a reply to message #36466] Mon, 20 July 2009 23:17 Go to previous message
irontowngeek is currently offline  irontowngeek
I wanted to experiment with NFS,but was a little concerned about network "hiccups",in using NFS,since most of my servers,are database servers,with replication.
NAS seems to be a good idea,but if you use muliple servers,what about "writes" to the booted image from other servers?
Would a program,such as "MAP:FS",would be required,to keep track,of the writes,to elimate duplicate "writes"?
Just a thought.

Cheers
Previous Topic: Installation problems
Next Topic: Iptables on Host Node
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Aug 19 09:22:58 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02914 seconds